John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:17:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Neo Geo MVS Battery Replacement Time?  (Read 3382 times)
orbit79

View Profile WWW
« on: May 03, 2014, 12:17:36 am »

So, I've only owned my Neo Geo cabinet a couple of months, and haven't had any real issues with it. Nothing I couldn't fix certainly. Today, I turned on my machine and noticed that the soft dip switch settings had reset themselves. I thought maybe the battery had gone so I checked my high scores, and sure enough, gone. I've since played a couple of games and it seems to be saving my scores ok. Is it possible that my system (dip switch settings and high scores) reset themselves without a battery issue? Or is it more likely that my battery hasn't entirely gone yet, but is not far from death? I'm thining it's probably that latter, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Tighe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 12:33:12 am »

Remove that battery before it eats up the traces on the board!

Neo Geo MVS Button Cell Battery Mod: http://youtu.be/kxRnPchG1I8
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:32:05 am »

Yeah, replace the battery. It's not that hard to do if you can solder.

I followed this and bought the part from him:

http://www.arcadecomponents.com/f/Neo_Geo_Battery_Replacement.pdf

orbit79

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 04:04:42 am »

Thanks guys. I did this today and it went well. Battery hadn't yet done any damage but was starting to oxidize slightly. Unfortunately the battery holder didn't line up too well with the battery holes on my 4-slot, even though my mate used the same holder for his 1-slot. It appears not all MVS boards use the exact same spacing. Regardless, some creative soldering sorted it out.

Cheers.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: