John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:36:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vs red tent monitors and parts?  (Read 12345 times)
kentuckycop

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:56:15 pm »

Nintendo vs redtent... Is there such a place to buy replacement monitors and parts such as power supplies. I don't think I could rebuild the monitors etc. There are no good sites with simple step by steps to do this.
While on the subject does the sharp monitor even have a number TI refer to to buy cap kits etc?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »

Nintendo vs redtent... Is there such a place to buy replacement monitors and parts such as power supplies. I don't think I could rebuild the monitors etc. There are no good sites with simple step by steps to do this.
While on the subject does the sharp monitor even have a number TI refer to to buy cap kits etc?

What is wrong with your monitor? What is it doing?

Things that you usually should be doing with these monitors is replacing caps, replacing flybacks as needed, replacing filter caps, HOT (high output transformer) and checking B+ voltages.

The red tent monitors are odd ball 18" Sharp monitors. However, you can buy cap kits and flybacks online. (these are the parts that usually should be replaced and go)

Bob Roberts is probably the best source for the cap kit:

Sharp
XM-1801N 19" color- Nintendo   $6.00
http://www.therealbobroberts.net/caps.html
You also should ask him for the filter cap and the HOT.

A replacement flyback:

http://www.arcadecup.com/

If you are not comfortable working on monitors, Chad at Arcadecup above works on the monitor if you ship them to him.

Tell me some more about your problems and I can point you in the right direction.

Remember, monitors contain high voltage and should be discharged before working on them.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 06:33:09 pm »

I added some monitor manuals and troubleshooting guides on the VS. TECH page:

http://www.johnsarcade.com/nintendo_vs_ppu_info.php

Hopefully the above will help!
kentuckycop

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:42:25 pm »

And though the other monitor looks alright I want to make it prettier etc. :-)..
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 06:26:53 pm »

And though the other monitor looks alright I want to make it prettier etc. :-)..

That is horizontal collapse. Check the sharp troubleshooting guide I stuck on the Vs. page. Could be a bad yoke (which would be bad) or something bad in the horizontal deflection circuit.

I would do a cap kit and clean up any solder joints first. Cap kits are cheap.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:29:49 pm by blkdog7 » Logged
DaveyPocket

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 05:54:17 pm »

I have never seen a blue red tent before. More like a blue tent
arborboy5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:51:05 am »

I too am having some problems with a monitor.  The horizontal has shifted to one side causing part of the screen to not be shown, or if adjusted, appear on the other side.  The adjustments will not allow me to fix the problem. If I take the adjustments too far, the screen  goes crazy.... To be expected when reaching its adjustment limit.  It has plenty of adjustment to the left and right, it's just that the picture will not center.

Will a cap kit fix this? 

Even though I am NOT experienced with monitors, I am willing to give it a try.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 03:31:46 pm »

I too am having some problems with a monitor.  The horizontal has shifted to one side causing part of the screen to not be shown, or if adjusted, appear on the other side.  The adjustments will not allow me to fix the problem. If I take the adjustments too far, the screen  goes crazy.... To be expected when reaching its adjustment limit.  It has plenty of adjustment to the left and right, it's just that the picture will not center.

Will a cap kit fix this? 

Even though I am NOT experienced with monitors, I am willing to give it a try.

Not sure about this one. Never experienced it. Could it be the adjustment pots are bad? Make sure your video cables are connected properly.

If you guys ever get over your heads with mixing these monitors, Chad at arcade cup fixes them:

http://www.arcadecup.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: