John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:40:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Mrs. Pacman help  (Read 51737 times)
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2014, 06:14:28 pm »

O.k. I haven't been able to work on the Mrs. Pacman game in a long time and I knew that it needed to have the tube rejuvinated so I called a shop near my house called Big Toys and talked to them about it. The last time I worked on it I had gotten the red colors on the monitor to work again (red did not work when I bought it so I rebuilt the monitor boards), but the red colors were weak. Today I pulled the monitor out of the game and dropped it off at Big Toys to be rejuvinated. They just called me a little while ago and said that they got it working. At first when they ran the tests on the picture tube EVERYTHING tested bad, and they thought for sure the picture tube was dead, but their tech wanted to try to work on it and see what he could do with it. They found that not only was the red gun weak, but so was the green gun too, the blue gun was working o.k-ish. Also they found six shorts in the tube. Well their tech managed to rejuvinate all three color guns and in some sort of miracle he was able to fix ALL six shorts. They said they couldn't believe that it came out so good and now when they test the monitor it has great color, great focus and great convergence. Best $40 I ever spent! I'll get my monitor back tomorrow and I'll post pics and maybe a video when I put it back together. Thanks for the help you guys have given me. I have more to work on but I think that I have the monitor sorted 100% now.

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2014, 08:35:26 am »

$40 seems really cheap honestly. That is amazing such a place exists near you.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2014, 06:36:51 pm »

Yes I'm fortunate to have them near by.

I got the monitor back and installed it. The color and focus are incredible! However I still have that weird red shadowning around the maze pieces. It's no where else either, only the maze. Not the ghosts, or Mrs. Pacman, or letters/numbers. I'm thinking this has got to be a PCB issue. So now that the monitor seems to be working I'm going to try to figure out some issues with the PCB and see if I can fix them. If not I'll be looking for someone that can fix Mrs. Pacman boards. Possiblely that shop, but I really want to take a crack at it myself and see what I can learn.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2014, 05:31:12 pm »

O.k. so now that the rejuvination has been done I needed to do some final adjustments. I found by turning down the red cut off I can get rif of that red shadowing that I thought was a PCB problem. Turns out that even after the rejuvination the red gun is still sort of week but I was able to find a nice "sweet spot" where I had almost not red shadowing but just enough red that eveything would show up. I wish the red gun was just a touch stronger as I'd be able to see things like red letters and red dots just a tiny bit better but this seems to do it pretty good. I really don't think it can get better without a better tube or have new guns installed in this tube, and good luck finding someone to do that. So for now this is it. As good as it's going to get and it's pretty darn good. It's WAY better then the junk pile it was when I first brought it home with no red and week colors colors all around, with poor focus. Next up will be some PCB work, new filter caps, touch up solder joints, maybe get rid of the speed up. Replace the PCB connector, and fuse blocks. Fix the sound issue (might just be a bad speaker). Fix the "by passed" safety switch on the back door, and some minor cosmetic work, like lights and coin door, and overlay, etc, etc, etc........ At least the monitor is done until the next time it dies.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203243780672357&l=5579228273544650768

Thanks for all the help and advice. I would have had a very difficult time doing this with out you guys. John thanks for the inspiration. I wouldn't have even tried anything like this if I hadn't found your Youtube channel and watched your videos.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:36:44 pm by P-feif » Logged
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2014, 08:03:19 pm »

Sorry I just realized that the video I posted above was set to private. I set it to public so you guys can see it.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2015, 01:18:13 pm »

O.k I just ordered this stuff from Bob Roberts....

Mrs Pac Man axial capkit (PCB).

Fuse block with 22/44 molex connector with split pins.

Mrs Pac Man crystals

Mrs Pac man centering grommet for the control stick.

Let's see where that takes me now.

I also need to look into the high score save kit with attract that John used on his Pac Man.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 07:02:11 pm »

O.k. I got a response back from Jason Souza that says....

Adding Slava to the email, I believe he still does these kits.

Good luck
Jason

This should be interesting.  Undecided
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 07:46:32 pm »

Slava sells the kits on ebay. I got mine from there. Or you can buy direct.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-MAN-MS-PACMAN-High-Score-Save-Kit-/271416951546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f31b602fa
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2015, 08:22:53 pm »

Thanks John. I did get a reply from him and he wants me to send him a picture of my PCB. So I'll send it to him tonight when I get home from work. Hopefully with the hack done to my PCB it will still work (no ribbon cable or daughter board).

I gotta get caught on all the video's that you posted over the Christmass break.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:24:51 pm by P-feif » Logged
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2015, 12:25:41 pm »

Do you have a great soldering iron ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2015, 12:27:50 pm »

Very cool! Good work
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 08:24:49 pm »

No I have a el-cheap-o soldering iron, but I'm getting by with it. I may upgrade to a nice Weller one of these days.

Thanks, not bad for a beginer huh?  ;)

And yes the kit will work with my board hack, I just have to jumper the scratched off traces.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:25:17 pm by P-feif » Logged
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

Well I started round 2 of repairs.....

P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 10:02:02 pm »

Had time to do a few more little things today.

PCB edge connector from Bob Roberts.

Fuse block from Bob Roberts. I noticed that there is a second fuse block. Think I should change that one too because it didn't come with the kit.

P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2015, 06:07:21 pm »

O.k. just got the high score save and 4 in 1 pac kit installed and had a scrambled screen. I noticed when I put the Video Ram Addresser back in that the extension socket that came with the kit was very loose feeling. I wiggled the VRA and extension socket and boom, I got an image however the picture has the top half on the bottom and the bottom half on the top. I'm pretty sure that the extension is just a pile of junk. Anyone know where I can get a better extension socket.

I did JUST sent an e-mail to Slava and I'm waiting for a reply from him. In the mean time if any of you guys can help I'd really appreciate it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: