John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:23:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MS.PACMAN p/s i love you. [Solved]  (Read 4189 times)
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:25 am »

So i just purchased a ms. Pacman power supply and complete wiring harness. I am replacing the old one. I've had this game for over 2 years and have never got it working.

Is there any tips or anything I should keep in mind when replacing the complete wiring set up?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:52:57 pm by godfather » Logged

Dedicated: Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Ms Pac Man, 3, VS. Castlevania, Space Invaders Deluxe

Boards: Vs. Goonies, Vs. Super Mario Bros,
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:20:33 pm »

wow this is exciting. one of my favorite games. you gotta get it working, take some pics for us.

well John does a great video of the pacman restoration. in that video we learn that pac man and ms. pac man are very similar. maybe that would be of help to prepare you. he goes over various things including handling the harness and edge connector, handling the game circuit board, and fuse/power.

it's kind of hard to give general tips, although during the process i'm sure we could give you many tips. start working on it, tell us your concerns or ask us questions if you're not sure.

is this what you are trying to do?
http://arcadecontrols.com/BBBB/pacpower.html

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:39:45 am »

I'll take some pictures this weekend for you it is surprisingly in good shape.

Dedicated: Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Ms Pac Man, 3, VS. Castlevania, Space Invaders Deluxe

godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 01:21:20 am »

replaced the entire harness, machine is not working Sad
not sure what to do. or where to start. i checked the fuses continuity is good

godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:18:32 pm »

whoo. figured it out. got ms. pac working. used the multimeter followed Johns tips for troubleshooting arcades and voila i now have a working ms pac man!!! Smiley

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:25:36 pm »

whoo. figured it out. got ms. pac working. used the multimeter followed Johns tips for troubleshooting arcades and voila i now have a working ms pac man!!! Smiley

AWESOME WORK! CONGRATS!
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:35:03 pm »

oh man this is awesome! must have more info and pics!

-alby13
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:05:53 pm »

what he said, I like to see restoration before and after photos. Or video, video is good too. : )
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:23:05 pm by Shadaw_The_Rampage » Logged

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 04:27:30 pm »

what she said, I like to see restoration before and after photos. Or video, video is good too. : )

hey i'm a guy  Angry

-alby13
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 05:23:24 pm »

what she said, I like to see restoration before and after photos. Or video, video is good too. : )

hey i'm a guy  Angry

Typo and fixed sorry

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »

hey i'm a guy  Angry

Typo and fixed sorry
Fellas it wasn't like i knew i was going to get it going. I have advanced knowledge of how electronics work and i have the technical skills to replace them but as far as fixing them goes. I have to use my resources and get ideas from the pros on what next steps to take.

After every one of these i fix i learn something knew. Like for 1 on ms.pac if the switch at the top doesn't work/or isn't on. i won't get any of the voltage readings behind the transformer. Tongue found that out the hard way.

John can typically come in an go "oh hey this is how we are going to fix this machine i just bought it " and he just wings it .

For ms. pacman i bought a power supply plugged it in, replaced the top switch then it worked. After troubleshooting with a multimeter finding out it was the power supply.

I wish i did record it, but this was my very first "dead on arrival" machine i have revitalized. The owner gave up on it and out of a labor of love through the help of forums and friends i was able to fix it back to health. I am proud of the fact i was able to do it. I have SO much to learn before i start whipping out a camera and showing the "progress" of my projects. Because i never have any clue on how it will turn out!! hah but thanks all i love this game!!!!

Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 11:39:15 pm »

hey i'm a guy  Angry

Typo and fixed sorry
Fellas it wasn't like i knew i was going to get it going. I have advanced knowledge of how electronics work and i have the technical skills to replace them but as far as fixing them goes. I have to use my resources and get ideas from the pros on what next steps to take.

After every one of these i fix i learn something knew. Like for 1 on ms.pac if the switch at the top doesn't work/or isn't on. i won't get any of the voltage readings behind the transformer. Tongue found that out the hard way.

John can typically come in an go "oh hey this is how we are going to fix this machine i just bought it " and he just wings it .

For ms. pacman i bought a power supply plugged it in, replaced the top switch then it worked. After troubleshooting with a multimeter finding out it was the power supply.

I wish i did record it, but this was my very first "dead on arrival" machine i have revitalized. The owner gave up on it and out of a labor of love through the help of forums and friends i was able to fix it back to health. I am proud of the fact i was able to do it. I have SO much to learn before i start whipping out a camera and showing the "progress" of my projects. Because i never have any clue on how it will turn out!! hah but thanks all i love this game!!!!

As a guy who spends a hour or two a week making a video all i can say is, i have no clue what im doing but i can generally say the vast majority of my views comes from people who are in almost the exact same . You don't need to be a professional you just need to be honest.

Whats really fun is when you have no idea what your doing, and theres multiple problems, the obvious, the less obvious, and the ones that didn't exist until you fixed the obvious and less obvious problems. XD Congrats on getting your machine working though I'd imagine it wasn't easy.

alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 12:54:42 am »

i agree, troubleshooting, trying to find out what's wrong sometimes makes for a good video, but retrospective videos are good too. you can just talk about what you thought it was initially, and what you tried before you came up with the solution, and finally what you did to ultimately fix it.

-alby13
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: