John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:08:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 60-in-1 in Gyruss cabinet - Questions  (Read 2900 times)
jaffo

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:53:38 pm »

Good evening folks,

So, several years ago, I bought a Gyruss cabinet at a garage sale that had a bad PCB.  Shipped it to Ian Kellogg and he determined it was a bootleg and he couldn't fix it.  I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced replacement, so I decided to do a 60-in-1 (since one of the games is Gyruss.)  I don't have a lot of room for arcade cabinets, so this would give me a reasonable facsimile of many good classics as well.

I want to stress that I did NOT hack up my Gyruss cabinet to do this.  I purchased this adapter from Aracadeshop:
http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/375/jamma-to-konami-cab-adapter.htm

So, I can easily restore this to a Gyruss cabinet when & if I can find a replacement Gyruss PCB.

Now on to my questions:

1) Do any of you have experience with the iCade 60-in-1 boards?  I can't really find great info on it and the manual isn't really providing useful info.  I want to go in to the settings and turn off all the games that require more than 1 fire button - basically I want to disable all the games that won't really be playable.  When I flip the dip switch to test mode, none of the buttons on the panel will advance to the other screens.  The manual mentions "sw 3" and "sw4" I believe, but I don't know how to trigger those.  Anyone with experience on this board have any hints?

2) From what I have found, it seems that the iCade needs +12v to power its audio amp.  It doesn't appear to be getting that.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Gyruss doesn't appear to use the +12v (I have the power supply wired as it was originally wired and the +12v line doesn't even have anything hooked up.)  Is there some other way to get +12v to the 60-in-1 in order to get sound thru my built-in Gyruss speakers?  If not, I have a set of computer speakers that I can plug in to the "headphone" jack on the 60-in-1 and put them in the cabinet on either side of the monitor - but I'd really prefer to use the built-in stuff. 

Thanks for any help or hints.  If I need to provide pictures or more information to make my questions clearer, please let me know.
allansim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 09:41:28 am »

Been awhile since I looked at mine but I just wanna say you're gonna be disappointed with the sound emulation for Gyruss in the 60-in-1 board compared to the original.  Most of the other games have decent sounds though.

1) The manual says to press TEST switch to go to the next menu page or SERVICE switch to go to the previous page.

2) Not sure about this.  You can wire up your cabinet speakers to your jamma connector for sound, right?  The speaker outputs are at pin 10.  The board allows you to adjust volume in the service menu.  If you're talking about a powering an outside amp you might need a separate line from your power supply to it or pins at position 6 on the connector are 12V.
jaffo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 12:40:03 pm »

Been awhile since I looked at mine but I just wanna say you're gonna be disappointed with the sound emulation for Gyruss in the 60-in-1 board compared to the original.  Most of the other games have decent sounds though.

Yeah, I'm aware the sound won't be the greatest - but it's better than NO sound or NO games Smiley

1) The manual says to press TEST switch to go to the next menu page or SERVICE switch to go to the previous page.

I saw this in the manual, but the test switch in my coin door does nothing - it *DID* work on my defective Gyruss board previously.

2) Not sure about this.  You can wire up your cabinet speakers to your jamma connector for sound, right?  The speaker outputs are at pin 10.  The board allows you to adjust volume in the service menu.  If you're talking about a powering an outside amp you might need a separate line from your power supply to it or pins at position 6 on the connector are 12V.

I probably wasn't entirely clear on this - My hope was that the konami/stern to JAMMA adapter would give me all of the functionality I needed, but it doesn't appear to.  The 60-in-1 board's audio (from what I have found) supposedly requires +12v to run.  But I don't even have a wire coming from the +12v line on my power supply, so obviously +12v isn't going anywhere in this cabinet.
Videobandit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 02:25:12 pm »

I just put a 60 in 1 in a super cobra what you need is a test and Service Switch to navigate threw the menu and I am pretty sure a dip switch needs to be flipped to get to the menu been 2 months since I did this. if you have micro switch buttons or any buttons in general hook them up to the right input and just leave them in the back of the cabinet. Once your in the menu to shut off the games you use the Joystick left and right to turn them of and up and down to scroll threw them

The Games you want to shut of to My knowledge will be
Super Cobra
Hustler
Juno First
Xevious
Scramble
Pinball Action
Shao-Lin's Road
Gun Smoke
And I would suggest Congo Bongo because it's Q-bert controls but thats up to you
jaffo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 06:51:44 pm »

I just put a 60 in 1 in a super cobra what you need is a test and Service Switch to navigate threw the menu and I am pretty sure a dip switch needs to be flipped to get to the menu been 2 months since I did this. if you have micro switch buttons or any buttons in general hook them up to the right input and just leave them in the back of the cabinet. Once your in the menu to shut off the games you use the Joystick left and right to turn them of and up and down to scroll threw them

The Games you want to shut of to My knowledge will be
Super Cobra
Hustler
Juno First
Xevious
Scramble
Pinball Action
Shao-Lin's Road
Gun Smoke
And I would suggest Congo Bongo because it's Q-bert controls but thats up to you

Thanks for that - I turned those games off along with a couple of others.  I wired up a test switch using an old doorbell button that I had.  It did the job.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: