John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:26:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (Newbie) Life of a CRT  (Read 1907 times)
OrioleFan

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:53:52 pm »

Hello All,

I'm a newbie here still as I do not have a cabinet yet. However, I am contemplating purchasing a Neo Geo cabinet. I would like to have a CRT monitor in it, even though some folks advise I should use LCD as they are more reliable and I have little background on how to service a CRT.

My question is, if a CRT is recapped, on average, how long is the lifespan before you begin to see problems again? A monitor in question would be a Wells Gardner K7000. If a Wells Gardner K7000 was recapped, how long would it last before it starts to have problems or outright dies on me.

My second question is, and I may get attacked for this, is it wiser to just go the LCD route? Are parts and service on CRTs becoming less easy to access thus suggesting we should move on to modern times? I hate to think this, as CRT monitors look beautiful. I was in the Vintage Arcade Superstore several months ago and the CRT pictures on those cabinets were gorgeous.

Thanks for any help or answers you can provide. 
darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:20:44 pm »

Hello All,

I'm a newbie here still as I do not have a cabinet yet. However, I am contemplating purchasing a Neo Geo cabinet. I would like to have a CRT monitor in it, even though some folks advise I should use LCD as they are more reliable and I have little background on how to service a CRT.

My question is, if a CRT is recapped, on average, how long is the lifespan before you begin to see problems again? A monitor in question would be a Wells Gardner K7000. If a Wells Gardner K7000 was recapped, how long would it last before it starts to have problems or outright dies on me.

My second question is, and I may get attacked for this, is it wiser to just go the LCD route? Are parts and service on CRTs becoming less easy to access thus suggesting we should move on to modern times? I hate to think this, as CRT monitors look beautiful. I was in the Vintage Arcade Superstore several months ago and the CRT pictures on those cabinets were gorgeous.

Thanks for any help or answers you can provide. 
Hi I'll take a Crt over a cheap LCD any day for older games.  Most of them once repaired can last for years.   Also LCDs can distort and stretch out 4:3 pictures.

Also many LCDs can die off in five years or less.... making you buy another one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »

Once you cap that CRT, it's gonna last forever. Especially in a home situation. Don't worry about it.
OrioleFan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 12:34:00 am »

Thank you to you both for your response and feedback.

Thanks for the forum and YouTube Channel John. It’s fantastic you’re keeping these awesome games, memories, and charming technology alive...and educating us all in the process!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: