John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:24:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NOOB! Sega game scramabled screen help  (Read 2345 times)
Loxlow

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2017, 06:53:58 pm »

Hey there everyone!

I guess you could say im the equivalent of a long time listener first time caller on here. Read quite a bit of troubleshooting tips and fix threads in the past! Anyway... Friend of mine had some non functioning cabinets he was nice enough to give me. one is completely trashed inside... the other ive been able to at least get to power on! Its a 1990 Sega game called AURAIL. Replaced the power supply after discovering old one was shot. also replaced a blown fuse. The game now turns on but the screen is totally scrambled, Ive read around that this is most likely due to rom chips? I very carefully removed all chips on the game/rom board and cleaned them. still scrambled screen. Any ideas on what else I should check?

Heres a pic of what im getting -

Thanks for any help!
Mikey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:29:34 pm »

I freakin' LOVE Aurail.  Played it during lunch in high school in the same arcade I bought my Space Harrier from, and that was the only Aurail I ever saw in my travels.  Such an underrated game.  Hard as hell on the later levels, too.  I never managed to finish it, even with continues.  I would love to own an Aurail someday.

That being said, I think the pic of your screen didn't post...try again, maybe?

How is the sound on it?   Does it coin up, and if so does it (effectively) play blind?

If you ever get the chance, check out this interview with the director of Aurail, Ryuichi Nishizawa: http://hg101.kontek.net/aurail/aurail.htm
Loxlow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:11:16 am »

Pretty much super scrambled... No sound when on. Havent tested the speaker though, will do that! As far as coining up, if i use the coin mech while its on the screen flashes once as if it does register. then if i hit player one it flashes once more time & after that I get nothing. Even if im moving/hitting buttons its just the same scramble. So no it does not play blind!

P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 04:58:22 pm »

Here's a link to Adam's youtube channel "Onecircuit". Watch some of the Punchout and repair video's. That'll at least give you an idea on how to trouble shoot this thing. He also has some videos on basic troubleshooting. I'll be honest. I haven't had the opportunity to try any of it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OneCircuit/videos?disable_polymer=1
Loxlow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:20:21 pm »

Thank you so much for that link! this guy has some amazing stuff! will keep you guys updated on how i fix this!
Junt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:33:27 pm »

I think we can all agree that Rush Hour 3 sucked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: