John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:02:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets discuss Physical media vs Digital media. Let us know what prefer & why  (Read 7890 times)
ccgamesceo

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:47:11 am »

1st off I own a couple of game stores in Ohio called C&C Games. We sell everything from Atari to current gen and also have a few arcade games. So obviously I'm a little biased towards physical. I am not anti digital. I honestly thought by now I would be buying and selling both physical and digital games in my stores. I hope someday our laws will catch up with our technology  and we will be able to resell/trade/gift our digital purchases to others. Me personally I just don't get the same feeling from digital that I get from owning a physical game. I think items like the nes and snes classic are good examples of a physical item in a digital world. I think most diehard gamers at there cores are collectors and the reason why an item like the nes/snes classic appeal to them. It's something to collect. Its very easy to emulate all these older systems for free but there's just something about owning that Nintendo branded item. Well enough rambling let me know your thoughts...
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:44:35 am »

Laws? Are there laws against selling digital or TOS created by sellers like Steam?
LockeCole

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 06:29:34 pm »

Definitely in the physical camp. I prefer to have something I can sell back if it sucks. Not to mention something I can still play in 20-30 years when they no longer have the servers up for PSN or Xbox Live because they wanted to change the backend (see the Original Xbox 1 for example) or if Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft just no longer do game consoles. It's the one reason I don't buy more PC games, I just want to have a backup for down the line, just in case.

It's why I love things like Limited Run where they put digital only games onto a disc or cart.
MantisGamer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 08:36:33 pm »

Digital media/online downloads are ridiculous. Essentially all entertainment is going to online subscription services so you never really own anything. I recently started watching older movies like Nightmare on Elm Street, Rambo, etc..., and they are either unavailable or its required to rent them. I purchased these movies on DVD for about the same price it was to rent on Amazon video. I'll store them and watch anytime I want. Using a service like Amazon video you are given a short time to watch/finish watching before your time expires. NEVER buy a game or movie on these subscription services because they can update their service anytime and it could be unavailable.

Subscription services are usually a horrible decision. Buy games and movies on physical media to avoid getting screwed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: