John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:51:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ms.Pac Man flea market find today, won't power on, please help  (Read 3742 times)
80skid

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:13 pm »

Hey gang, thanks ahead of time for any help and advice. I have always wanted one of these, found this one today for $100.00. It is an upright, appears to be original from 82. Rough shape, when plugged up I hear the speaker popping and humming but nothing else. Monitor doesn't power on nothing seems to come on. I have been an IT guy all of my life, even used to build and repair dialysis machines, so I should be able to handle it, just not sure what it should look like inside, couple of plugs don't appear to go anywhere, there is a reciept inside from 2013 showing monitor was replaced. It is a samsung. But everything else looks original except maybe the power supply. Again, not sure. First one I have ever opened up. The monitor control board for lack of proper term, that adjust vertical and horizontal position is just hanging in the cabinet un mounted, but does appear to be hooked up. But really no power other than speaker. Any advice or any pics of what it should look like inside?
Meanstreak05

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:29:44 am »

If you can get some pics on here it would help out a lot .sounds like someone put a LCD screen in it and took out the crt .
kcase01

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:37:44 am »

First thing is to get a meter and verify you are getting voltage to the PCB. Then check any 74 ic to make you are getting a good 5 volts. Pictures of the inside of the cab would help also.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 05:46:25 am »

Definitely post photos.

Couple of things:

The power supply for Pac Man games is on the game PCB. Someone could have bypassed this with a second power supply.

Remove the filter board above the PCB of it's there.

Check the fuse block on bottom.

Check Interlock switches.
80skid

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 09:45:06 am »

First of all thanks to everyone for the fast respones! I created a google drive folder with the images. You can view those images at the following link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4qyCj4EfQj1NlI1ZDRaajhPRG8?usp=sharing

Thanks again!
80skid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:21:06 pm »

Please share the story that those pics tell. Thanks guys!
pinballfreak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 12:19:33 am »

Pics show 1) Not a Bally/Midway Ms Pac-Man cabinet 2) bootleg or other pcb other than Ms Pac-Man, 2) Switching power supply installed, and 3) most likely a hacked harness taking 1, 2 and 3 into consideration. Check to see if that power supply is putting out the correct voltages would be the first step. If +5V is low, there should be a way to adjust it up. As for the Monitor, with game powered on, a start would be checking to see if you have neck glow.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:26:34 am by pinballfreak » Logged
80skid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 08:57:39 pm »

Well that is disappointing to hear, but I just added a side pic to see if you guys can guess the cabinet. Checking voltages tomorrow with electrician friend on powersupply and fuses. I will keep you posted. The side pic can be seen at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4qyCj4EfQj1ZTI2RW1hVFREUWc
80skid

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 09:15:57 pm »

By spending a few minutes on google images, it appears my cabinet may have began life as Joust???
pinballfreak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 10:51:22 pm »

It was a Stern cabinet, so it wasn't Joust (a Williams cabinet). Going by the few I see with that coin door, it could be Super Cobra, Scramble, The End, Lost Tomb, Jungler, or Turtles. Might be some other Stern game, but with the cabinet repaint, I can't narrow it down any more.
80skid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 11:12:49 pm »

Wow. Thanks man!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 01:59:04 am »

Scramble type Stern cabinet and looks like a bootleg Pac-man PCB.
80skid

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 02:10:37 am »

Does that mean it will only play Pacman and not Ms.pacman?
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 04:56:37 pm »

Hey gang, thanks ahead of time for any help and advice. I have always wanted one of these, found this one today for $100.00. It is an upright, appears to be original from 82. Rough shape, when plugged up I hear the speaker popping and humming but nothing else. Monitor doesn't power on nothing seems to come on. I have been an IT guy all of my life, even used to build and repair dialysis machines, so I should be able to handle it, just not sure what it should look like inside, couple of plugs don't appear to go anywhere, there is a reciept inside from 2013 showing monitor was replaced. It is a samsung. But everything else looks original except maybe the power supply. Again, not sure. First one I have ever opened up. The monitor control board for lack of proper term, that adjust vertical and horizontal position is just hanging in the cabinet un mounted, but does appear to be hooked up. But really no power other than speaker. Any advice or any pics of what it should look like inside?

Not sure what that receipt is for but I doubt it was for the monitor. I see the name "Bestech" on your monitor deflection board. And that is absolutely a CRT and not a flat panel.
allansim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 07:11:08 am »

Whew, you have a lot of work ahead of you!  If the goal is to make it play pacman or ms, i'd remove everything, clean it out thoroughly, repair wood as needed, repaint, wash all the electronics, get the monitor recapped/working.  But then if the board isn't working (after testing/replacing fuses and power supply) i'd just get a 60-in-1 and install a JAMMA connector assuming the connector isn't JAMMA already.  Its not worth the time to try to fix a bootleg when there's no info out there for it and a new 60-in-1 would be more reliable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: