John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:28:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mortal Kombat 2 - Memory Extension Board - size & scans or hi-res pics needed  (Read 2548 times)
KyRol

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2017, 06:01:55 am »

Hi,

I bought Mortal Kombat 2 PCB with missing Memory Expansion Board. I didn't found any scans of it what to me is strange because this is rather common issue. I know - I can simply convert it by programming a GAL chip and swapping jumpers and ROMs with larger capacity. I considered this solution and by going by this way I will be unable to stay with what was on the board previously, so that is reason why I decided to recreate MEB. MEB is not complex at all and contains common parts, no custom chips, no weird stuff. I have plans to restore MEB by almost forgotten wire wrapping technique, however I do not exclude an idea of custom designed board in future. I need dimensions of the board too.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:18:11 am by KyRol » Logged
KyRol

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:46:48 pm »

I'm a bit disappointed that there is no answers in this thread. I have news however for those who have similar challenge. In operator's manual is contained about 5 sites with diagram of MEB plus other 2 sites with parts and other info. This should be enough to recreate MEB, size you have discover on your own. But it's no drama, place sheet of paper (A4 at least) and do the holes using paper-clip in places where connectors are. This paper sheet will be useful with ruler, when you sit down nearby desk. Then you have to use some PCB prototyping software - KiCad for example - and recreate the board. Last steps are: PCB etching, drilling holes, UV coating, soldering and you are done.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:57:47 pm by KyRol » Logged
esqueleto

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:58:24 pm »

Do you need one? Sometimes there are not needed.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:01:28 pm by esqueleto » Logged

Joysticks and flip tricks...art, skateboarding and classic arcade gaming!

DK, DK JR., Punchout, TMNT, NBA Jam, Narc, MKII, Outrun, Dragons Lair, Neo Geo 4 slot, GT 2006 Complete, Operation Wolf, Sega 18 Wheeler, Pole Position, Tempest, Super Street Fighter 2, Frogger, Winding Heat and a few more
KyRol

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:16:44 pm »

yes, but only if it will not cost me over my MK2 was. I bought mine MK2 motherboard and sound board including ROMs and shipping for less than 20USD.
esqueleto

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:37:25 am »

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=375549

DK, DK JR., Punchout, TMNT, NBA Jam, Narc, MKII, Outrun, Dragons Lair, Neo Geo 4 slot, GT 2006 Complete, Operation Wolf, Sega 18 Wheeler, Pole Position, Tempest, Super Street Fighter 2, Frogger, Winding Heat and a few more
KyRol

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:05:36 am »

30USD+shipping to Europe - that will cost me fortune. But I would be glad if you could send me these 2 photos via e-mail in native resolution (not scaled down). If price would not exceed 30 USD including shipping to Europe, then I will get that MEB.
esqueleto

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:38:04 am »

I'm sorry, I though you were stateside.. here you go... https://goo.gl/photos/6RNGD4PVxzPxY4rf8

KyRol

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 07:25:41 pm »

Thank you for photos. I resolved my issue by accident. I won another one auction. This time I bought MK2 with missing sound board. Sound Board was not actually missing, it was available as another MK2 board on spare auction from very same guy;) He didn't knew what exactly sells. It was exactly as John often says - his listings contained misspelled titles, listing names contained words as "game" and "machine", in addition to that categories were chosen badly. I bought Mother board including MEB for 40USD including shipping. Sound Board was beyond my reach because someone else bough it for crazy price - it was nearly 40USD. I bid it for over 35USD. I will live without it as I actually have one already, Maybe if it will be fairly easy to recreate I will do that, but propitiatory, Midway/Williams specific components might be needed - I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 07:38:17 pm by KyRol » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: