John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:05:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning arcade cardboard  (Read 1584 times)
rogerxy

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:32:35 pm »

Hi!
As many 70s arcade cabinets, my newly bought Road Runner has cardboard cutouts for backgrounds. As the cabinet has probably stood in a warehouse for several years it's both dusty and filthy.

The cardboard is pretty difficult to replace which is why I'm asking you for some advice as how to clean it in the best. What methods can you recommend?

Thanks in advance Smiley
blake

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 06:24:25 pm »

i asked the same question on klov a while back and the best recommendation was a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment.  worked good for my asteroids bezel.
thanks
blake
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 06:49:37 pm »

I see no problem spraying some simple green on a paper towel and wiping it down. I've done it before.

Obviously, use common sense and don't go crazy.
rogerxy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:56:33 pm »

Thank you for your suggestions!

Yeah my idea was to use a little simple green on a not-so-wet micro fiber cloth, I think I'll go with that. I've heard also vinegar or chlorine but those might ruin the art work.

The dirt is a little "rubbed in" in the card box so just a vaccum cleaner will unfortunately not do the trick.
blake

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »

Thank you for your suggestions!

Yeah my idea was to use a little simple green on a not-so-wet micro fiber cloth, I think I'll go with that. I've heard also vinegar or chlorine but those might ruin the art work.

The dirt is a little "rubbed in" in the card box so just a vaccum cleaner will unfortunately not do the trick.

start out slow on an area you cant see easily and watch for bleeding of colors or cardboard becoming sticky, when that happens its close to start coming off.
thanks
blake
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: