John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:10:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local arcade visit! Recbar in Louisville, KY.  (Read 817 times)
KennyL

I'm just an average guy, I guess.

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2016, 10:52:51 am »

I didn't personally get any photos, but you can see photos on the website and Facebook page. http://www.recbarlouisville.com/ https://www.facebook.com/recbar502/

On to the post.  My wife's cousin had a birthday last Sunday (Oct. 2) and wanted to do something.  We had thought about some places to go that were more friendly to his family (very religious/conservative, don't even want to be near bars) but it turned out they couldn't go and it would just be him, the wife and I.  I mentioned Recbar, this place I wanted to go to myself and hadn't been to yet, and I know this guy loves arcades.  He agreed.  After about an hour or better drive from here, including an adventure involving closed interstate onramps and taking backroads past a huge music festival...we arrive.

Recbar is a pretty cool location.  Decent parking, great food and drinks, nice layout, large machine selection and cheap token per credit settings.  Downsides, machines though working aren't always in the best of shape. I found very little that detracted from gameplay, aside from a somewhat jacked button on the Ms. Pac 60-in-1 machine that didn't work every time and the MK II had a rom error and had reset it's self to factory settings (backup battery perhaps?).  It's just mostly that the machines are in more of a true arcade op "made to work and make money" condition rather than enthusiast "restored" condition.  I found little bad on the pins of note, they were all fairly level, in OK condition and played well.  The glow in Viper Night Drivin' were in pretty bad shape and liked to get stuck sometimes, but I bet those are very hard to find .   Had a lot of fun playing Big Guns and Ghostbusters.  As an example of how cheap the credits are: Ghostbusters, a brand new Stern, was 2 tokens per credit.  Equal to 50 cents!  You usually see this machine set to dollar credits.  Most others were single token credit.  The Tee'd Off machine was actually set to give you TWO credits per ONE token and they had their World Challenge Soccer on free play.  They rotate out a few machines on free play as a little bonus, which I think is super cool for an arcade to do.  A few of the games have been LCD converted, notably TMNT which had a 16:9 LCD and black Happ comp joysticks...worked fine and played well, though.  Many of the original CRT games do have CRTs though, I imagine a few games they acquired with LCDs, I know they got their "Racin' Force" that way, I recognized it as a machine I saw on Louisville Craigslist.    So that one I know was listed as working and the picture showed an LCD.  They just took the coin mech out of the coin door and put in one of their 0.950 token mechs(yes, I measured the token.  I always keep a token from token based arcades).

In closing.  Recbar has a great classic arcade feel, good food and drink and will be fairly easy to access once all this is done in Louisville.  It isn't bad even still, just take alternate routes and let your GPS units guide you. Smiley

Kenny L.
As an f.y.i. there is more than corn in Indiana...there's soybeans, ha.
Mini NeoGeo machine thread, inspired by Ben Heck:
http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: