John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:54:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm debating manufacturing my first arcade game.  (Read 6769 times)
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:51:52 pm »

I'm thinking on making my own custom arcade game. However I have no idea where to start, other than the games theme.

Basically I intend on making a arcade machine like the pac-man cabinet that John is working on.

What I need to learn is pretty much how the guts of an arcade machine works.

Also if anyone can explain how to hook up a coin mech to a 555 timer to make pretty much anything coin operated that'd help too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:10:33 pm by Shadaw_The_Rampage » Logged

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:18:26 pm »

I'm thinking on making my own custom arcade game. However I have no idea where to start, other than the games theme.

Basically I intend on making a arcade machine like the pac-man cabinet that John is working on.

What I need to learn is pretty much how the guts of an arcade machine works.

Also if anyone can explain how to hook up a coin mech to a 555 timer to make pretty much anything coin operated that'd help too.

Are you thinking of programming your own game? Tell us more!

If you're gonna use a PC you'd need something like a JPAC to interface the computer with the cabinet. Tell us more!
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 07:28:03 pm »

I'm fully aware that the difficulty of what I have in mind is professional level across many different spectrum's of expertise. However that hasn't stopped me before.

I'm thinking of etching my own circuit boards, programming my own chip, Literally making an actual arcade machine and patenting the crap out of it when its done.

I'm thinking some things like the power supply and the monitor would be wise to obviously buy from local sources, coin doors and all that fun stuff too, but the guts the boards I want to make that actually custom.

I've got an unusual idea for the design of the body, Not so much odd in the idea of how it will look as it'll look like a normal arcade machine but well im not comfortable with mentioning that on the forum here least not currently ;)

I don't have a lot of funds to use on this right now either, im thinking a 2 - 5 year plan down the road so that I don't go mad trying to make it function.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:41:34 pm by Shadaw_The_Rampage » Logged

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:54:47 am »

As it turns out in the next few weeks I'm going to be moving. So my plans for this are kind of at a halt temporarily.

However once I can afford it after getting moved ill be starting my collecting and restoring of machines, Through that I hope to learn enough to start making my own.

Since no one here really knows me and I've never really explained my plans this is what I've got in mind. I want to start a manufacturing company / arcade business where I've got a physical business that you can walk in and play any arcade machine I've restored or produced.

I'm thinking limited collectable runs so that I don't have to get too big too fast to do it and I can keep it controlled while also making them by definition rarer and worth more to collectors down the line. I want to get the skills necessary to design any type of arcade machine i want to. I'm thinking pinball, fortune tellers, arcade games.

Not only that but I also want to take the prototype machines and explain out the methodology of how the design process got started in exhibit format like a museum. So for example lets say I built a machine called "The Greek God!" i don't actually plan on making a machine called that its just an example. On point lets say i made it, the actual honest to god prototype for it when its in production I want to make a plexiglass case for it and put it on exhibit.

I also think I can do some actual good for people with this idea too. By raising money for charity, and I don't mean like the sleaze bags who take 95% of it for themselves when i say "for charity" I mean every dime goes to that charity. There's nothing that irks me more than the people who take advantage of good people wanting to do something good for others.

As I mentioned before this is all on hold until I am moved set up with a job, and able to make a commitment to actually really truly starting this. However I wanted to give some insight into where my mind is at on what I'm doing. This is no small undertaking, as either ill be working from my home or an actual workshop I set up some where. Likely my home.

I want to end this on a lighter note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiVh9jVKxug

This is Laffing Sal, She used to be at the play land in the beach in the San Fransisco fisherman's wharf i believe. I designed something more terrifying than this, and So SO unique that when I make the one im only making the one and it will be at the entrance to my arcade when you come in.

Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:48:09 pm »

watch Ben Heck's you tube video on a coin-op 360 for using a 555 timer!!!!
(when he refers to AC games thats us!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPEbikC1-SA
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 01:54:05 pm »

I have actually, It's still a little over my head. I am learning though, I know enough to know that the coin dropping through hits a switch thats normally in the open position which causes it to close which set the 555 timer to open which allows current to pass through the circuit when the timer runs out the circuit goes from open to closed which stops the circuit. That's what I know in a nut shell.

Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:38:20 pm »

Just picked up my very first coin door. I probably paid a little too much for it new but it'll do everything i need it to do. Best part is. It's metal not the cheap plastic one I bought and the plastic parts on it stripped out of.

I also can complete the light circuit for it to get the coin return lights to light up. I'm going to add a video of my unboxing it to youtube when i get it in. I couldn't be more thrilled right now! : O

alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 03:37:17 am »

you may be interested in making a 8-bit NES type game. in my opinion they are great for many reasons. easy to make, have a retro feel, can be very interesting and addicting, often have great sound effects and music, etc. there are a lot of tools out there already for this.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/how-to-make-a-video-game/2/

i am a professional graphic designer and i love video games. i originally wanted to be a video game designer. perhaps we can collaborate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdgQyOIyWPY

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 09:18:00 am »

Actually I'm working on a 8-bit shooting game right now. Well the details of it unfortunately I don't have any programming skills.

alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 02:49:16 am »

Actually I'm working on a 8-bit shooting game right now. Well the details of it unfortunately I don't have any programming skills.

like side scrolling vehicle shooter, or person shooter like contra, or vertical shooter? psudo-3d shooter? shooter oh my what kind?

you don't need a lot or technically any programming skills to make a game if you use the right tools. it helps to know a little; understand what it does/how it works.

are you doing art? writing story? working on game mechanics? what type of work?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:53:10 am by alby13 » Logged

-alby13
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 10:40:35 am »

like side scrolling vehicle shooter, or person shooter like contra, or vertical shooter? psudo-3d shooter? shooter oh my what kind?

you don't need a lot or technically any programming skills to make a game if you use the right tools. it helps to know a little; understand what it does/how it works.

I'm learning to be a one man arcade machine making army more or less. I'm thinking well i dont know what the proper term is but remember duck hunt with the dog and the NES light zapper? That except with a holiday Halloween theme.

I'm fairly sure duck hunt counts as a FPS in the respects that your holding a gun, and your shooting at 2D targets that are moving.

Since i'll be doing the art im thinking that it might be best to do pixel art. I'm fairly proficient with that.

Give me a bit more time and ill tell you all about what I have in mind.

alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 02:38:15 am »

I'm learning to be a one man arcade machine making army more or less. I'm thinking well i dont know what the proper term is but remember duck hunt with the dog and the NES light zapper? That except with a holiday Halloween theme.

I'm fairly sure duck hunt counts as a FPS in the respects that your holding a gun, and your shooting at 2D targets that are moving.

Since i'll be doing the art im thinking that it might be best to do pixel art. I'm fairly proficient with that.

Give me a bit more time and ill tell you all about what I have in mind.

oh this gives me a chance to be all nerdy. this is known as a "light gun" game or "light gun shooter" simply because you used a zapper that had an "eye" in it that saw the white square on the screen, or in other words the light and registered a hit.

so what is the input? a gun/zapper, a mouse, a joystick? sounds good i'll wait patiently.

-alby13
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 11:11:16 am »

Definitely a light gun game. I plan on making a full on cabinet that your standing infront of it with a rifle {custom made} that you aim and shoot at your target. Its more or less duck hunt on steroids.

This is what the player so far would see:

Extra stages awarded at
[25c 1st stage] - Outside the Mansion
[in game point value] - Inside the mansion
[in game point value] - Basement
[in game point value] - Graveyard
[in game point value] - Mausoleum
[In game point value] - Tomb
[Secret Level - Beat the current high score] - ?????

[Insert generic zombie here ] - shuffles - [Redemotion value - x points]
[insert ghost target picture] - Spooky   - [Redemption value - x points]
[Insert evil witch picture  ] - Cackle   - [Redemption value - x points]
[insert grim reaper target  ] - Grim     - [Redemption value - x points]
Theres more but you'll just have to play to find out!

I'll mention more of the mechanics when I figure them out I'm still working on it.

alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 04:57:07 pm »

Definitely a light gun game. I plan on making a full on cabinet that your standing infront of it with a rifle {custom made} that you aim and shoot at your target. Its more or less duck hunt on steroids.

This is what the player so far would see:

Extra stages awarded at
[25c 1st stage] - Outside the Mansion
[in game point value] - Inside the mansion
[in game point value] - Basement
[in game point value] - Graveyard
[in game point value] - Mausoleum
[In game point value] - Tomb
[Secret Level - Beat the current high score] - Huh???

[Insert generic zombie here ] - shuffles - [Redemotion value - x points]
[insert ghost target picture] - Spooky   - [Redemption value - x points]
[Insert evil witch picture  ] - Cackle   - [Redemption value - x points]
[insert grim reaper target  ] - Grim     - [Redemption value - x points]
Theres more but you'll just have to play to find out!

I'll mention more of the mechanics when I figure them out I'm still working on it.

i like the theme and locations. sounds really good.

you may have an answer to this, and of course keep your cards close to your chest, but what i am saying is make sure you have something unique in this game that really makes people want to play it.

a few months ago i was playing a shooting arcade horror game. it was really interesting because it monitored your heart rate while you played and adjusted the gameplay accordingly.

NAMCO's Official Dark Escape 4D Arcade Game Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03m8IXHVb8

"You don't just see the terror, you experience it with air blowers in the front and back of the seat. Vibrations in both the seat and gun make this a truly unique horror game. Try to stay calm as panic sensors on the gun display the player's heart rate. " I think you wore 3D glasses too.

i remember when time crisis came out and the whole thing was you could push the foot pedal to pop in and out of cover to dodge bullets. really well done.

if i could recommend anything it would be unique but usefull "power up" weapons that are tricky to get. that really makes replaying the game fun and it's something fresh/never before seen guns

-alby13
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »

There's going to be power ups. I've got all kinds of ideas in mind but i still need a team of people to make it happen. I've got 400.00 and thats more or less a monitor and a cabinet. Thats about it.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: