John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:54:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adhesive on Cabinet  (Read 2395 times)
Frank_Booth

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:34:40 pm »

I just purchased my first arcade cabinet (Neo Geo 2 slot) not long ago and I am in the process of restoring it due to some blemishes and damage that I do not like looking at. Not to mention that I just want this thing to shine like it is brand new!

I have removed the vinyl off of the cabinet and it seems like there is a sheer layer of adhesive on the cabinet. I tried scraping it but it wasn't coming off so I did some google searching and found that I could use goof off to remove it. I have been trying that but it seems like this is going to take forever.

My question is, do I need to remove the thin layer of adhesive? This is something I could not seem to find a clear answer on when searching. Some people are saying you need to remove the adhesive or paint will not adhere properly but others are saying you can put oil based primer on and it will be fine. Then I started reading that it might not even be adhesive but it could be a clear coat which should remain on it to help seal the wood.

Thanks for the help in advance!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:43:19 pm »

Adhesive sucks. See my Quantum video.

I usually use a mixture of sanding and chemicals to get it as naked as possible.
Frank_Booth

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 12:00:43 pm »

I checked out that video, thanks!
Namco51

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 03:25:19 pm »

Goof Off is kinda cheap. I used it on my Dynamo cabinet to get the CPO adhesive off and it would soften the adhesive but would quickly dry up before you could scrape it off in time. I ran out and started using lighter fluid which dries up even quicker but is way cheaper.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd use Goo Gone because I've heard it's better.
Tighe

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:40:00 pm »

The best thing in my opinion for removing adhesive is a big can of acetone. It's combustible so make sure you have ventilation. It's the same stuff women use to remove nail polish, it's also not going to hurt you as it's not toxic although it isn't pleasant to breath in. You can buy it in the paint section at Walmart for cheap.

Goo gone don't use I've made that mistake it soaks into the wood and nothing will stick to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: