John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:20:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Knight  (Read 4105 times)
squireg

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:47:33 pm »

I am about to buy a Black Knight with all new boards (rottendog mpu and power driver) and new displays (pinleds).  Seller also says he rebuilt the cabinet and back box and repainted with stencil kit and clear coat and it looks very nice in the pics I have.  Back glass is good too.  Weakest part of the game is the playfield but not that bad.

My question is what is a reasonable price for this game/condition?  Also, since the cabinet and backbox is "rebuilt" that to me means it is not original and does not have a serial number.  Does that detract from the value?  In my mind maybe but maybe not as we replace boards all the time and it is still "original".  So, I am asking for your guy's advice before I pull the trigger. 
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:35:42 pm »

Ask specifics about the restore. Did he do it, of not then who..

What type of clearcoat was used.

What kind of wax.

Any other chemicals used on the PF? Mil wax? Etc

Was the wood body of the cabinet repaired then painted or just painted..

Have the rectifiers been bullet/flame proofed?

Just the cab cleared or the PF too?

Has Mylar been added to PF?

Are the inserts cupped badly?

Any signs of past moisture in PF?

Black Knight is popular because the cab looks cool but many (John can attest to this) it is kind of one dimensional..

I've heard the other similar titles that are like this are better playing but don't look as cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 09:08:09 pm »

The game is cool. I think it's a "had to be there" kind of pin. I wasn't there and got bored of it fast.

$1,200 pin.
squireg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 10:15:37 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I have decided to pass for two reasons.  First price and second the cabinet and back box were "rebuilt" and "replaced".    That, along with all the replaced boards leaves in my mind a generic Black Knight with the only original parts being the playfield, coin door and back glass.  I never really gave that much thought until now but I'd rather have a machine that is more original than less original even if that means I have to fix her up.  Do you guys agree?
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 01:20:13 pm »

100%, having one that is original is much better. Sure if the CPU board was toast from battery corrosion and a Rotten board was dropped in while the rest of the cab is original is better than 80% of it being rebuilt.

What was he asking for the pin. My guess is $2500-2100 USD cash.

Where are you located.. you should be able to find a great 1K$ pin in the Williams System 7 up to the mid 80's games in good shape. Not perfect but playable for sure.

I think you made the right choice.
squireg

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 08:51:09 am »

I'm located in Central Florida.  Price was $1,850.00.   I'm glad I passed.  Prices on ebay though are crazy......plus the cost of shipping.  I'll keep looking.
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 04:27:14 pm »

Holy Chit man if you are in Florida get on the Village BBS forum.. All the collectors buy/sell there at collector prices instead of the BS    CL/eBay prices.. Oh and it's from a collector that you know and prob have been to their house for parties so you know they take care of the games..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
burzan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 02:42:06 pm »

Yes, try Village BBS forum. It will be useful for you

I'm fond of different vitage games. I really like to play on my Sega Megadrive!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: