John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:26:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Space Invaders power supply  (Read 17689 times)
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 08:40:37 pm »

Wow talking about digging up old threads....

So here's an update.

If you look at what I had said earlier in this thread I had purchased a switching power supply with adaptor for Space Invaders from Arcade Shop. It didn't work, it just went into shut down which indicated a short on the game board. I called Arcade Shop and they told me that it was a short on the game board and not the power supply. So whenever I had time I searched and searched for a short on the board. To be honest I knew it was beyond my ability to find the short but I tried it and....... I didn't find it.

I hired the job out to a local shop that's right around the corner from me, called Big Toys. They sent their tech out, he looked at what I had done and did a little diagnostic work at my house and found that they new power supply was totally screwed up. When I checked the voltages they weren't bad but he used a simple light bulb to load the power supply and the 12 volts jumped up above 12 volts. After a brief conversation him and I both agreed that he should take the new power supply (from Arcade Shop) and the original power supply along with the game board back to his shop where he has all his diagnostic equipment. Today I got a call from him to give me an update on the progress. Not only was the new power supply screwed up it was outputting more than 30 volts on the 12 volt supply when he used his equipment to put load on it the right way. He was hoping that it didn't hurt anything because it went into shutdown so quickly (when I turned it on, installed in my game). Well first he found the short, bad capacitor on the 5 volt side of the board (nothing to do with the 12 volts being too high), AND he then checked the 12 volt side of the board. Well there is a clock chip that it fried and he's looking for one. I don't know the number of the chip but he said he was going to look over some old Midway boards to find one. Sounds like it might be a chip that's no longer made. I might call him back and ask for the number so I can look for one too. So that's where it's at. Sucks but at least it will live again. I'll leave another update when I get one.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:45:25 pm by P-feif » Logged
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 04:55:34 pm »

Yay! It's alive! Got my game board back today and the tech that I hired also brought a new switching power supply with him. We installed the game board and new power supply and BINGO, it's working again.

So what had happened is that the power supply that I got from Arcade Shop was faulty, it was putting out over 30 volts on the 12 volt line. BZZZT! The timer chip that I had mentioned before and one capacitor basically acted like a fuse and stopped anything else from being damaged. Still....

Also before I got this repair tech involved, I had replace the chips on the board that control the "thump, thump" sound and the "ufo" sound. I was never able to test them due to the power supply issues. When we turned it on today all of it worked. So even the repairs that I had made were working.

At any rate I'm not saying anything bad about Arcade Shop. I'm sure when all this first happened, if I had figured out that the power supply was bad they would have stood behind their product, I just didn't know any better and I'm pretty sure that by now I'm well beyond any warranty period so I'm just going to chalk this up to experience.

Next up rebuild the control panel and maybe a Braze kit.

Still looking for LED's that look like normal light bulbs for it...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:04:37 pm by P-feif » Logged
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 03:09:10 pm »

Well.....

It didn't last long. I installed the Braze kit and it didn't work. Called "highscoresave.com" and talked to the gentleman that runs the place. He thought that I had a bad kit and so he swapped it with me. So I installed the new kit. It worked great, except that after less than 5 minutes the video signal fads away and I get a blank screen, game plays blind. So just to make sure I removed the Braze kit and it does the same thing. I turned up the brightness on the screen and I can wash out the screen so I don't think it's the monitor. I call the guy that fixes my boards and he had me drop the game board off with him to look at. At the moment he has the board and I'm waiting to hear from him. Damn so close....
Hgloth

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 09:19:36 pm »

Sometimes when I receive those power supply they have a switch and they are set 220 volts.

Ive had 2 that way... only one ever installed but it didn't harm anything. Always check those and set your switcher voltages before you plug in your board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 05:20:25 pm »

Got the board back, they played it for 14 hours without a glitch. So I guess I need to look into the monitor and the wires that transfer the video signal.

Thanks Hgloth. I already pitched the other power supply but I'll make sure to look for that in the future.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2019, 08:44:45 pm »

So I fixed the video issue. I found the anode wire was not fully inserted into the fly back. The video looks great now. It’s missing the invader hit sound. That gets fixed next and then I’m going to try to find some LEDs that spread the light like an incandescent bulb and then I’m calling this thing done.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2019, 06:11:19 pm »

And the video issue is back. I think it's just time for a full monitor rebuild and replace the pins for the video signal where they plug into the monitor.

On the plus side I did find time to fiddle with this game a little and I fixed all but one of the non working sounds. The last one is a little beyond my skill set so i'm going to hire it out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: