John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:41:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Galaga  (Read 3713 times)
mnegr454

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2016, 01:43:19 pm »

Just got this galaga game. I have been working on it for the past couple of days. Got the monitor to work but does not show the game. I checked the powers and it seems fine at 5.o5 on +5 and 11.61 on 12+.  Also it seems good on pinout connector and checked on board its reads 5.05. I been reading on here and found that my pinout connector and wire setting does not seem to be the same as the one from galaga pinout from other posts. I'm stuck at rom ok and hear a loud noise. Will try to upload some pics soon.
mnegr454

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 01:59:00 pm »

mnegr454

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 02:11:09 pm »

[/img]
mnegr454

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 03:16:51 pm »

Got pictures right.  The size of the picture was wrong wouldn't let me post them. Used BB code and chose big squre for size on imgur.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:02:42 pm »

Well this game is slightly a nightmare to fix. (ask mattcandraw that one)

All I can suggest is remove everything and resocket it. Check for broken pins, clean the legs. likely you have a lot of broken ICs. I don't have 100% understanding of galaga like I do pacman and pole position.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
mnegr454

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 10:26:45 pm »

Well decided to clean the boards and also to clean the pin legs. While taking one off the socket it had a broken leg. Could this be the problem that i'm expericencing. The leg looks like it's still in the socket and how can this be fixed?   If so where can I get this part?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 10:30:44 pm »

i doubt it would be your problem.

That is a star field generator and only makes the background look like stars. The game can run without.

There isn't really any place to buy them so I would try to solder a capacitor lead or something to the stub and try to repair that pin.

This game really is a nightmare to fix. I would probably just look for a new working board or a 60-n-1 (shutters at that thought)

mnegr454

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 12:05:55 am »

I increased the power on the +5 to get 5.3 on the board and got an upside down ram ok and also the background to show.  Then restarted it again to have it go back to the same it was.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 09:40:52 am »

I have no advice as I have zero experience with the game but I will echo what Ian says. I have heard from very experienced engineers that the game is indeed a nightmare. Smiley

I wouldn't give up cleaning and reseating chips but i would also keep an eye out for a working board.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 09:43:14 am »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ms-pacman-Galaga-arcade-game-pcb-Licensed-Namco-works-perfect-/141866636465?hash=item2107e914b1:g:uQEAAOSwEetV~ttY

Not sure about this dude:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GALAGA-ARCADE-PCB-BOARD-REPAIR-SERVICE-WITH-WARRANTY-/231251933660?hash=item35d7b079dc:m:mlgNeXfWuZsnafxn9kBXQMg
mnegr454

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 08:47:16 pm »

Well decided to take care of the coin light 25 cent one and top light because none were working with new bulbs.  So the coin light worked but the top light went out as soon I put on. Then when i restarted it and 25 cent light would not work. Do I need to take off any more parts from here?

mnegr454

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 08:55:34 pm »

Just got the galaga working! Got some z80s from mike'sarcade and just added two new ones. Its working great and the kids are having lots of fun. Thanks everybody for the help.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 01:22:16 pm »

you are unbelievably lucky. Seriously, its rare its the z80's that fail and often its the custom chips that handle memory on the video board. Sounds like you should start playing the lottery more.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: