John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:27:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asteroids Deluxe, Reset After a Couple hours  (Read 1747 times)
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« on: December 14, 2015, 08:44:29 am »

Just got an Asteroids Deluxe. I really love the game, but there are a few minor things that appear to be happening with the game that I was curious about. It seems that after having the game on for a couple of hours it will reset sometimes. Reading on the internet it seems that it could have something to do with the edge connector. Also occasionally it seems to forget one high score. These are not huge issues since gameplay is completely fine, and my games don't last long enough to have it reset on me. Just curious as to why it may be doing this so I can get around to fixing it at some point if I have to.

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:17:51 pm »

random resets are almost impossible to figure out.

Best things to do is look at how clean the 5V is. Is it exactly 5V to the IC's on your board? Does it have a lot of ripple? (measure this using AC voltage mode on your meter)

Maybe the contacts on some eproms/ram chips are dirty and have issues with thermal expansion. Maybe the sram is slightly marginal and heat causes memory failures. (good luck on that one!!!)

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 07:21:57 am »

Thanks for the insight. All day yesterday it ran without a hitch. I just woke up now and flipped it on, and all the high scores are there is well. I may flip it around this weekend and check the voltage and all, but I most likely will leave well enough alone if it continues to act normal now. Thanks!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: