John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:07:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey Everyone! afowlerart from St. Louis, MO  (Read 1993 times)
afowlerart

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:53:45 am »

Just dropping by to introduce myself, I've just bought my first ever game cabinet (Street Fighter II: The World Warrior), and I came to this forum to get some tips on how to refurbish it. I refurbish electronis for a living, and fixing up this cabinet seemed like a fun exercise and possibly a way to make some extra cash (by either setting it up at a restaurant somewhere or just selling it). From the little bit that I've done to it, it's pretty fun, and I'd be interested in doing it again on another machine.

Take care!

Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:23 am »

Hello, we will need pic's so we can see it for ourselves. Just easier than trying to describe it. Anyways welcome and we'll see what we can do to help.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
afowlerart

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:04:13 am »

Well, I'm looking to replace the control panel overlay, all the buttons and both joysticks. I'm getting most of that stuff from ebay. The main issue I going to have is with the wiring.

Most of the punch buttons, the 1P & 2P start buttons, and the joystcks should be an easy fix; the wires have connectors that slide on and off the microswitches. Pretty simple. However, all of the kick buttons and two of the punch buttons' wires are soldered to the microswitch ends. (?!)

There's also a black wire (I'm guessing it's a ground wire, but I'm no electric engineer) running between each of the buttons. Not sure what that's for or if it's necessary to replace once the buttons and microswitches are replaced.

Here are the pics:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:11:38 am by afowlerart » Logged

Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:39:49 am »

Looks to me like someone had an electrical issue with it. Also not all of the switches on the buttons are the same. I would recommend looking up the manual and finding out how its supposed to be wired.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
afowlerart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 02:34:39 pm »

Is there any way to solder on connectors to to the wires rather than resoldering all the wires to the new microswitches when the new buttons come in? If I have to do some soldering, I'd rather solder once, in case I have button problems in the future.

The kick buttons are on a separate wiring harness, so I'll just buy a new kick harness for the new kick buttons. The harness I'm looking at has connectors like the ones for the punch buttons.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:39 pm »

Is there any way to solder on connectors to to the wires rather than resoldering all the wires to the new microswitches when the new buttons come in? If I have to do some soldering, I'd rather solder once, in case I have button problems in the future.

The kick buttons are on a separate wiring harness, so I'll just buy a new kick harness for the new kick buttons. The harness I'm looking at has connectors like the ones for the punch buttons.

You want to crimp new spade connectors on the wires then you don't have to solder at all. Looks some of them have spade connectors already and some are soldered.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: