John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:39:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wii Mini?  (Read 3890 times)
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2014, 04:34:49 pm »

I want to buy a Wii Mini to share with my 9 year old daughter.  What games can you recommend that would be appropriate for kids, but not boring for adults.  Right now there are hundreds of used Wii games at GameStop priced from 99 cents all the way up to $50.  Thanks for the info.
Player 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 05:16:49 pm »

Rayman Raving Rabbids is fun if you haven't played it yet. Great game for kids. The Wii Mini doesn't do 480P.

Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Defender, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders
Pins: Attack from Mars, Bride of PinBot
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 05:30:56 pm »

does it use a composite connection to the tv?  I can get the wii mini for $60, if its worth it.
Player 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:42:30 pm »

Hmm. The specs on the review site say it actually does 480p and accepts component/composite cables. But the review itself says it doesn't do 480p. Maybe they meant that it doesn't come with the cables needed to run that resolution

However, Wikipedia says this:    "The Wii Mini (stylized as Wii mini) is a smaller, redesigned Wii which lacks YPBPR (component video/D-Terminal), S-Video, RGB SCART output, Nintendo GameCube compatibility, online gaming, the SD card slot and Wi-Fi support, and has only one USB port unlike the previous models' "

So it comes with a composite cable and I think that's all you get. No 480p   =(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:47:05 pm by Player 2 » Logged

Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Defender, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders
Pins: Attack from Mars, Bride of PinBot
VertexGuy
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 11:04:56 pm »

Rayman Raving Rabbids is fun if you haven't played it yet. Great game for kids. The Wii Mini doesn't do 480P.

I agree, that's a cool game.
the Carnival ones are good too
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 11:06:41 pm »

I want to buy a Wii Mini to share with my 9 year old daughter.  What games can you recommend that would be appropriate for kids, but not boring for adults.  Right now there are hundreds of used Wii games at GameStop priced from 99 cents all the way up to $50.  Thanks for the info.

You play airsoft?
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 09:02:27 am »

no, but i was collecting airsoft for awhile without playing.
VertexGuy
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:42:14 pm »

Well lemme be the first to tell you.. that shit hurts like hell
I had one hit me right on the top of my hand one night and it sucked
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 11:17:57 am »

John, since you do Video Arcade Outsiders Podcast, I thought you would chime in on this thread.  Should I get the Wii Mini for my 9 year old daughter?  I am thinking that the lack of features compared to the regular Wii and Wii U are actually a plus, since I am a simpleton and the last console systems I really enjoyed were the Nintendo SNES and Gamecube.  My only concern is will the lack of a memory storage option kill the ?

By the way I have heard you guys raving about the Wii U, should I just bite the bullet and get that?  Thanks for your input!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 11:51:14 am »

John, since you do Video Arcade Outsiders Podcast, I thought you would chime in on this thread.  Should I get the Wii Mini for my 9 year old daughter?  I am thinking that the lack of features compared to the regular Wii and Wii U are actually a plus, since I am a simpleton and the last console systems I really enjoyed were the Nintendo SNES and Gamecube.  My only concern is will the lack of a memory storage option kill the ?

By the way I have heard you guys raving about the Wii U, should I just bite the bullet and get that?  Thanks for your input!

Yes, you should get it. My daughters grew up playing that thing. There are endless great gamecube and wii games

#1 - Mario Party games
#2 - Super Mario Sunshine (gamecube)
#3 - Wind Waker (gamecube)
#4 - Super Mario Galaxy
#5 - Mario Kart

The list is endless. Those are a few off the top of my head in no particular order. Games my kids love/d. I can't recommend Mario Sunshine enough. The wii does 480p with the component cables.
Tighe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 04:01:44 pm »

John, since you do Video Arcade Outsiders Podcast, I thought you would chime in on this thread.  Should I get the Wii Mini for my 9 year old daughter?  I am thinking that the lack of features compared to the regular Wii and Wii U are actually a plus, since I am a simpleton and the last console systems I really enjoyed were the Nintendo SNES and Gamecube.  My only concern is will the lack of a memory storage option kill the ?

By the way I have heard you guys raving about the Wii U, should I just bite the bullet and get that?  Thanks for your input!

Yes, you should get it. My daughters grew up playing that thing. There are endless great gamecube and wii games

#1 - Mario Party games
#4 - Super Mario Galaxy
#5 - Mario Kart

The list is endless. Those are a few off the top of my head in no particular order. Games my kids love/d. I can't recommend Mario Sunshine enough. The wii does 480p with the component cables.

But the mini doesn't do Game Cube.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:40:24 am »

#1 - Mario Party games
#4 - Super Mario Galaxy
#5 - Mario Kart

But the mini doesn't do Game Cube.

Really???

Then get a used Wii for CHEAP.
Tighe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 09:03:34 pm »

Hey John,

Great idea to start the forum.  Great way for us to keep in touch with you as well as others that have a passion for arcades.  Keep up the kick @ss videos.  I have seen each of your videos at least 3 times.  Your passion for arcades and you cool basement arcade jump started me to want to start my own.  I'm currently working on my basement to turn it into a classic arcade room/bar area.  About 60% done.  Keep up the work.

Later,
Eric

Eric! That is awesome. You need to post pictures of your basement! What games did you get so far?

Thanks for the support!

My thoughts exactly. Also the later regular Wii didn't do game cube also so make sure when you buy it at the game store it is the original design not the one that lays flat and is slightly rounded.
VertexGuy
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 01:35:15 am »

Hey John,

Great idea to start the forum.  Great way for us to keep in touch with you as well as others that have a passion for arcades.  Keep up the kick @ss videos.  I have seen each of your videos at least 3 times.  Your passion for arcades and you cool basement arcade jump started me to want to start my own.  I'm currently working on my basement to turn it into a classic arcade room/bar area.  About 60% done.  Keep up the work.

Later,
Eric

The first run wii's had the additional controller ports for gamecube controllers.
has sd card... this will lead to something..

Then what happened was Walmart released an exlusive blue wii with no gamecube support (no access doors on top for gamecube controllers.
But did however still have sd card slot.

Then Nintendo just said fuck it, and made a bunch of white and black wii's with no gamecube support.

After Nintendo got sick of people homebrewing the wii's , they decided to make the wii mini.

Ive softmodded a wii U but they fixed that with an update patch, then I sold both of my wii U's

Eric! That is awesome. You need to post pictures of your basement! What games did you get so far?

Thanks for the support!

My thoughts exactly. Also the later regular Wii didn't do game cube also so make sure when you buy it at the game store it is the original design not the one that lays flat and is slightly rounded.
VertexGuy
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 01:35:59 am »

The first run wii's had the additional controller ports for gamecube controllers.
has sd card... this will lead to something..

Then what happened was Walmart released an exclusive blue wii with no gamecube support (no access doors on top for gamecube controllers.
But did however still have sd card slot.

Then Nintendo just said fuck it, and made a bunch of white and black wii's with no gamecube support.

After Nintendo got sick of people homebrewing the wii's , they decided to make the wii mini.

Ive softmodded a wii U but they fixed that with an update patch, then I sold both of my wii U's
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:34:07 pm by VertexGuy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: