John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:33:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Neo Geo Question  (Read 2594 times)
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:39 am »

From age 11 to age 14, (1980 - 1983) I rode my bike to the arcades daily in Ashland, Oregon.  There were 3 arcades in town.  Every game I saw during that time has been burned into the synapses of my brain!  I could even tell you where in the arcade each game was located. 

Then tragically, everything changed: we moved to Southern California and I got an Atari 600XL for xmas in 1983 and an Apple //c in 1984.  Sadly, I completely stopped going to the arcades. Sad  I guess I was extremely lucky that I was there during part of the "golden age of video games".

However, newer arcades like the Neo Geo system are completely foreign to me. But since I see one in John's Arcade, and many on this forum have one at home,  I now realize the importance of the Neo Geo to the video gaming experience.  So, may I ask what are your favorite Neo Geo games so I can check them out and hopefully some day buy a 4 slot Neo Geo for my home!  Thanks.
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:37:16 am »

the only games you need for neo geo are;

some kind of 'king of fighters'. they made about 1000 versions.
one of the metal slugs
fatal fury / garou mark of wolves (same series)
aeero fighters
bomberman

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:53:09 am »

My favs:

Neo Mr. Do
Metal Slugs
King of Fighters 97
Bust a Move (1 and 2)
Nam 1975
League Bowling is kind of fun
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Spinmaster
Strikers 1945
Neo Bomberman

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:03:44 pm »

Neo drift out
Windjammers
Puzzled
Bust a move
Metal Slug
Strikers/Areofighter

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
VertexGuy
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:16:53 pm »

From age 11 to age 14, (1980 - 1983) I rode my bike to the arcades daily in Ashland, Oregon.  There were 3 arcades in town.  Every game I saw during that time has been burned into the synapses of my brain!  I could even tell you where in the arcade each game was located. 

Then tragically, everything changed: we moved to Southern California and I got an Atari 600XL for xmas in 1983 and an Apple //c in 1984.  Sadly, I completely stopped going to the arcades. Sad  I guess I was extremely lucky that I was there during part of the "golden age of video games".

However, newer arcades like the Neo Geo system are completely foreign to me. But since I see one in John's Arcade, and many on this forum have one at home,  I now realize the importance of the Neo Geo to the video gaming experience.  So, may I ask what are your favorite Neo Geo games so I can check them out and hopefully some day buy a 4 slot Neo Geo for my home!  Thanks.

I have both AES and MVS...
If you are talking about "Home"  I usually think AES.
If you get an AES I recommend magician lord, fatal fury special and world heroes 2 jet.
And also if you can find em a handheld neo geo controller .

If you are talking MVS ,  just buy a multicart 160 in 1 and try some of the games out
and buy the ones you like.
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:03:26 pm »

Yes, the Metal Slug series are great and worth the price.
I also like the Samurai Showdown games, Puzzle Bobble/Bust a move and King of fighters series, KOF  99 is my fave.
Space Avenger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 09:11:05 pm »

Metal Slugs
Spin Master
Puzzle Bobbles
Street Hoop
Baseball Stars 2
World Heros
Neo Mr.Do!
Soccer Brawl
Super Dodgeball