John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
June 16, 2024, 02:57:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPS2 horizontal stripes Marvel vs Capcom + other video issues.  (Read 2209 times)
RebirthOfLeGenD

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2016, 08:50:33 pm »

Hi everyone,

Losing my mind a bit over here.  I've had this game sitting around my house four a couple of years now.  I bought it in around 2012/2013 and it worked for a couple of weeks then crapped the bed and started having these issues with vertical stripes down the screen and random graphics being messed up like the right side is shifted over onto itself.  Currently I have replaced the power supply, added an extra video adapter to test whether it was a monitor or game issue, replaced the wiring harness, and still am facing the same issue.  I've checked both A/B boards for damaged pins and everything seems straight and fine.  Currently I have the original board in, and I also have another blue version of the same game but that one won't even load and gets stuck at a blue screen with boarders.  Possibly a dead battery that needs to get phoenix'd, but that's semi unrelated.

So after a few days/weeks/years of pulling my hair out, I come seeking help, any and all appreciated.  on the bottom is a youtube video showing the issue I am currently experiencing so you can see for yourself.

https://youtu.be/pyjMvQ4FSnw
RebirthOfLeGenD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:51:16 pm »

Figured I'd put an update here so that when people google this 10 years from now they might find an answer Tongue

The shifted video is caused by a corruption in the game board (B board in CPS2), and the striping is caused by a defective A board.  When I replaced both A/B boards everything worked in its entirety, then when I took the old game into the new board I had shifted graphics, but no striping, and vice versa resulted in striping, no bad graphics.  Getting the board phoenix'd might fix the game since I think it's probably an issue with the game data being corrupt.  But a lot of this is just speculation, I don't know enough about how to remove the parts inside the board itself.

anyway, hope that helps anyone who encounters striping or graphic shifts on their CPS2 games.  That way you don't waste hundreds of dollars buying stuff to troubleshoot with. 
TheGuru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:35:15 am »

Most common faults on CPSII are bad RAM and bad ROMs.
The larger mask ROMs on the B board hold the graphics.
Try removing them, cleaning the legs and replacing them.
If no help then one of them is bad.
It's pretty common nowadays to see the larger 42-pin mask ROMs going bad.
They can be replaced with an EPROM, either 27C160 or 27C322.
You can get the data from MAME ROM archives widely available on the net.
If you want an all-in-one solution buy the Darksoft multi-CPSII board and you can play *every* CPSII game on one CPSII PCB.

RebirthOfLeGenD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:20:05 am »

Where do you find those boards?  I've googled them and I can't find any for sale.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: