John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 16, 2024, 10:18:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install Popeye in a Original DK  (Read 2537 times)
drkmatter

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »

I'm Looking for help on how to install a popeye Pcb with my original Dk Cabinet - I have working Dk board set right now its not using the edge connector
any help would be appreciated
Tighe

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »

You realize that the game will play sideways?

Other than that you just plug it in using all the connectors just like DK is plugged in.
drkmatter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:24:42 pm »

The DK board has 8 separate headers while the Popeye board has none just an edge connector
Tighe

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:49:27 pm »

All, OK I have the multi connectors DK. You need an adapter

You said you aren't using the edge connector... So I am confused as to what you have and want to do.

Photos would help.
drkmatter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:12:04 pm »

Dk board looks like this

popeye looks like this one
all of the headers are missing

Goal would be to play popeye in my Dk Cabinet

thanks
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »

You will need to buy a Nintendo 2-Board Harness Adapter -- http://cambridgearcade.dyndns.org/?q=node/68

You will then plug your connectors on to this board and connect the edge connector to the Popeye pcb. And you are done!

Aeolus7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:25:59 pm »

Just to reiterate Tighe's point, Popeye is a horizontally oriented game & DK is a vertical.  Popeye might be a better pairing with a Vs board or with Mario Bros (control panels would be different of course).  Vertical Nintendo games would include DK, DKjr, DK3.   Vector Labs has a switching system for Nintendo cabs where you could run Popeye in a Vs setup or all 3 Donkey Kongs in one cab, for instance.  It's a somewhat pricey & complex, but really nice system

Lineup: DK, Vs Unisystem, Mario Bros, Bally Vector, Stern Meteor, SI cocktail

WTB: Burgertime, Galaga, PC10 cabinet, Pacman Cabaret, DE TMNT, DE Batman, Taxi, Funhouse, BTTF
drkmatter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 08:43:27 pm »

Just to reiterate Tighe's point, Popeye is a horizontally oriented game & DK is a vertical.  Popeye might be a better pairing with a Vs board or with Mario Bros (control panels would be different of course).  Vertical Nintendo games would include DK, DKjr, DK3.   Vector Labs has a switching system for Nintendo cabs where you could run Popeye in a Vs setup or all 3 Donkey Kongs in one cab, for instance.  It's a somewhat pricey & complex, but really nice system
Maybe I will be better off ordering Nintendo to Jamma?
Tighe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:29:48 pm »

If you have a JAMMA cabinet that us horizontal it would be easier than rotating the monitor.

That said, my Popeye board has the header connectors on it so that is why I was confused.

As for Mark's adapter, he is very slow to respond to orders, and I tried for months to get that from him. I ended up buying the adapter from arcade shop:

Arcade Shop's Nintendo Pass Through Adapter:
 http://youtu.be/n8_Zw9ood9o
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 10:31:54 am »

I also can't stand mark's PCBs. half the time you have to grind off the cut out because he didnt do it right.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: