John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:54:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube - Pay to watch ad free  (Read 4399 times)
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2015, 01:46:41 pm »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/paying-for-youtube-the-next-experiment-in-the-tv-revolution-1.3028271

I'm happy to pay - I watch no TV, I watch YouTube.  Take my money, have it.

Say what ye..?

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
tombutler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 01:59:13 pm »

I am an adblock user.  That might make me seem like an ahole.

Maybe I am but I hate watching Revlon and Chevy ads and that seems to be most of the ads on YouTube now. 

If they could tailor the ads to the subjects of the video (like allowing johns channel to have cap kit ads) I may turn it off but right now it's just crap I have no need for. 

I honestly blank out when I see ads these days.  Like I don't remember them ten seconds after I have seen them.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 06:54:49 pm »

I don't know what this means for content creators. Really interesting!
shawnsdada

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 01:54:09 am »

A lot of people are going back and forth on it. Some think it's going to rip off both content creators and viewers. Some are saying Google is wording the agreement in a way to confuse everyone and have already made changes here and there after people have agreed to the original. Others are also saying they are seeing the notification to read the terms and have no button to deny it and only an accept button that later vanishes. It's all kinds of weird and stupid.

From what people are saying, one version will be free with ad's on all channels by default. Basically what you see now on most channels if you don't use adblock. You don't agree to allowing that, you are blocked from uploading content until you agree to it.

The other is what people are saying is $10.00 a month per channel with zero ads. I could see doing $10.00 ($20.00 at the most) a month if that got you ad-free versions of any channel you subscribe to. That amount a month per channel though? That's where people saying one part of the rip-off is happening. The other is how you get your cut. From what people have said, Google worded it to make it sound like you get a 45-55% cut of each subscriber when in reality that can't be right. You have 16,668 subscribers at the time I type this. Say every single one of us decided to opt into that at $10.00 a month and you got 45-55% of that. Do the math lmao. There's no way they are actually going to give people that amount. Think about the channels with millions of subscribers and they all opted in.

Be cool if it is like that though. I would assume that you would get to a point where "John's Arcade" would no longer be your basement/garage and move straight into a warehouse? Then all those people asking for 4K video on your channel would likely now get it

I think it was Davey Jones of the EEVBlog channel that may have done a quick rundown of the terms of it. There were others as well, but I can't remember who.

Judge not by their games, but by how many posts they've made
relax

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:29:32 am »

here comes the money train.... all aboard!! cho0oo00 cho0o0o0!
relax

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:14:11 am »

a good point of reference for this type of stuff is a channel on youtube called tek syndicate. that article seems to be pretty new. im pretty sure this will be covered there they talk alot about comcast and bandwidth caps and such, and all the red tape.
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:01:27 pm »

I'm an adblock user so I don't typically see any ads, I do turn it off for some channels (John's Arcade, ETC) but I haven't ever been a fan of Google monetizing user created content for themselves, or playing copyright police for that matter.

I am especially irritated by mobile ads, since you pay for each meg of content you stream and ads eat up data, all the while being useless, seriously I have no use for seeing ads for digital movie downloads a million times, I already own the VHS, DVD etc....

I don't mind content creators getting paid for their work but since they are responsible for everything other than storing and hosting the video, they should get a much larger portion of profits. Heck I'd be in favor of just doing gift donations via Paypal that way they get 100% of the profit.

I can say I will never pay for something like youtube, it is just not on the same level as services like netflix. and if they start interfering with the way adblock works on the site, or start screwing over content creators I will just leave (Daily Motion, etc) and not look back.
Worm2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 06:42:35 pm »

I would hope the fee would be, Pay for one account to have unlimited add free viewing.

What Ad block do you use for youtube? I use to have one a long time ago but it all stopped working.

Personally I could care less about 4k on YouTube. I cant even get YouTube to steam 1080 or 720p with out buffering ever 30 sec. I have to switch every video to 480p to play back smooth. I wish they would fix this first, maybe a YouTube pay account can steam without lag? YouTube even told me that it is because I am using their website on Bright house networks and I can only get bandwidth from Bright house at 2 am. But yet I can download at 9.4mb anytime of the day or night.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: