John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:18:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: R-type video  (Read 2526 times)
Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:47:06 pm »

Great video! just wanted to mention R type released in 1987 so the operator would have paid closer to $2500 - $3000+shipping for it. after collecting $8k over 10+ years thats not very good, considering 50% goes to the location and at least 5% to sales tax plus you have parts and repairs to consider
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:35:00 pm »

no, we live in a world where the r-type cost $1,000, shipping was free, and the operator got to keep all of the profits, which he got in the first year, not over 10 years.  also, he paid no tax on his income because derek did his taxes!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:31:47 pm »

Great video! just wanted to mention R type released in 1987 so the operator would have paid closer to $2500 - $3000+shipping for it. after collecting $8k over 10+ years thats not very good, considering 50% goes to the location and at least 5% to sales tax plus you have parts and repairs to consider

Think it cost that much!? Whoa! Yeah, it didn't do very well, did it? LOL.
Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:25:32 pm »

In contrast our galaga machine has around 266000($66K) meter clicks, it was one of 3 in the Aladdins Castle i started at it was in the same location since it was new and operated there till 2004 it is still operated in my company. these days I'm lucky if it makes $50 a month
just remember how much old computers used to cost new! These games where like super high end for the day. Today I think its a bargain to purchase a new piece at $5K or lower. The average is $8K and as high as $33K for games like Namco's Mach Storm, $20K for a pair of the new Mario Karts.  Etc anyways great videos! always enjoyable
~Sean
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:27:07 pm by Crazybanana » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:37 am »

Here's an Atari price list from back in the day. Looks like the starting prices were around 2k-3k:

http://www.atarigames.com/atarinumbers90s.pdf

I remember seeing old meter magazines or something and they were blowing arcade games out at $500-$1000.
jumblejunkie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:00:03 am »

RIP Dart Board

Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:19:12 pm »

T-MEK for only 10K that explains why you don't see them much Smiley The prices on that list look like distributor pricing. add another markup for the poor operator.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:21:24 pm by Crazybanana » Logged
knaagi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 01:36:10 pm »

Like most arcade games of that time, R-Type was ported for 16-bit console and computers shortly after it´s initial release, which surely comes into play here.
I also don´t think we can compare the earnings of games of that era with those of the early 80s.

"Mach schnell, Dummkopf!"
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 04:27:21 pm »

You have three desks/tables for you work area, can you live with two? I say nix that one part of your work area and put three more games behind the row of games that are next to the red tent.  Shocked And then you can keep the dart board.  ;)
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 04:31:26 pm »

You have three desks/tables for you work area, can you live with two? I say nix that one part of your work area and put three more games behind the row of games that are next to the red tent.  Shocked And then you can keep the dart board.  ;)

My desk area is extremely important to me and used much. I can't. I record music, make apps, and do podcasts there. It's a very productive area that is 100% used.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: