John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:34:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hola from Chicago  (Read 1829 times)
Verminator

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:22:55 am »

About 30 years ago, I was about 1/3 of the weight I am now and held two World Records on the Twin Galaxies' record board (Frogger/3 lives and Venture). Now, I am happy to live in the Chicago area where the arcade classics of the early 80s live on. I frequent the Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield, IL and Underground Retrocade in East Dundee, IL. There is also Star Worlds in DeKalb, IL... an extremely rare arcade that has been in business since the early 80's and a couple of bars/retro arcades in the city.

I hate fighting games with a passion... I love the early 80's games like the Pac Mans and Donkey Kongs where technology limitations required games to be creative and strategic. My personal favorites include Robotron, Frogger, Frenzy, Q*Bert, and Defender.

My all time favorite game by a landslide is Zoo Keeper. I have it on MAME and my three daughters cheer me on as I try like hell to break 2 million points or higher. As much as I beg for Zoo Keeper in the Chicago retro arcades, nobody has delivered yet. Knowing that John was able to score Zoo Keeper makes me all giddy!

Thank you, John, for restoring the games I loved during my childhood and having a basement arcade that I could only dream about!! There is nothing like the sounds and sights of a retro arcade!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 07:49:36 pm »

Awesome, man! Thanks for joining. I'm from Chicago and hope to check out Galloping Ghosts soon! And,that place in Dundee. Welcome to the site!
Verminator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:11:27 am »

Thanks John! Galloping Ghost is knocking on the door of the National Arcade Museum at Funspot as the largest arcade in the country. They actually need to expand soon because that place is packed with games and extremely busy all of the time! Underground Retrocade is actually better in terms of original cabinets and creating a complete 80s arcade environment... including the music being piped into the speakers. The owners of both places are incredible... very service oriented and friendly. Let me know if you ever make it out to these places.
Chuckie egg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 03:02:14 am »

Welcome mate
Talking of arcades me and some Jamma+ members are going to clear the last arcade in London in a few hours .
There mostly Jamma cabs called electrocoin Goliaths I am having one and hopefully there is a few boards going to .
You guys are very lucky to have some arcades still working .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: