John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:00:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings, Earthlings!  (Read 1466 times)
ArcadeJunkie2099

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:11:10 pm »

Hey everyone! I've been a long time fan of John's youtube vidyas, and browser of the forums here.  Any time I want to feel nostalgic, I jump on here or watch some youtube videos.  I pretty much grew up at one arcade or another, and I've always wanted to own/build my own. 

I have noticed that mostly all of the "How-To" guides online are all MAME related things, which I am absolutely not interested in.  I'd like to get into restoration, etc, but I have no idea where to start.  I know I should probably buy a cab to start working on, but I don't want to drop a lot of money and abandon the project due to lack of information. 

Is it better to buy something that you really want for more money than say something you don't want, but at least have something to restore and possibly sell toward what you do want?

I'm in NY, and not the city part, Western NY, near Rochester and Buffalo, so, as you can imagine, there isn't much in the way of shows or auctions to go to in my neck of the woods.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:17:12 pm »

Hey everyone! I've been a long time fan of John's youtube vidyas, and browser of the forums here.  Any time I want to feel nostalgic, I jump on here or watch some youtube videos.  I pretty much grew up at one arcade or another, and I've always wanted to own/build my own. 

I have noticed that mostly all of the "How-To" guides online are all MAME related things, which I am absolutely not interested in.  I'd like to get into restoration, etc, but I have no idea where to start.  I know I should probably buy a cab to start working on, but I don't want to drop a lot of money and abandon the project due to lack of information. 

Is it better to buy something that you really want for more money than say something you don't want, but at least have something to restore and possibly sell toward what you do want?

I'm in NY, and not the city part, Western NY, near Rochester and Buffalo, so, as you can imagine, there isn't much in the way of shows or auctions to go to in my neck of the woods.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the site! Glad you made it.

I would probably buy something you really want. You'll be more into it and more motivated. Don't be afraid to be a broken game. Google is your friend and you'll soon find out that many people before you have had the same problems with these games and you'll soon be down the correct path in repairing these games. It's fun and very rewarding to fix and restore these games!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: