John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:11:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh oh, what did I do  (Read 3709 times)
moogrum

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2014, 02:53:13 pm »

I think I messed something up on my monitor while playing around in my machine.  It used to make a really high pitched sound when it worked and now it makes more of like a hissing sound and the screen is all grabled like the sync signal is spitting out garbage.  It's a WG k7400.  Any idea where to start?  This is my first monitor issue.
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:54:36 pm »

The screen looks like this http://imgur.com/wE1Nvw3
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:08:56 pm »

I fixed it!  The connector was askew on the remote board!  first monitor issue solved!
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 05:25:58 pm »

I suggest if you haven't done a cap kit yet you may want to consider doing that

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 05:42:13 pm »

yeah it is very helpful when you post a picture of the problem. that didn't look like a adjustment or capacitor issue

glad you got it fixed! does it still make a high pitched sound? if so, could be the voltage too high or too low.

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:38:46 pm »

You know, I think that high pitched noise is just an artifact of it being a 15khz monitor.  Humans can hear up to 20 khz, and this sounds just below the range of human hearing.  I think it probably is present in every monitor?  I'm sure it'll be insignificant when I finally put the back door on again, it was just one difference I noticed at the time.
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 04:56:21 pm »

a slight hum might be normal but a high pitched sound i don't think is normal

-alby13
VertexGuy
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 09:18:50 pm »

Kick that motherfucker,, that should fix it.
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 06:46:15 am »

No

-alby13
TimeRunner

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:18:51 pm »

When a CGA type CRT isn't receiving any signal you'll hear a high-pitched whine as there is no sync to latch onto. Pretty normal.

You won't hear the whine if you've been to more than one Slayer concert, however.
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:27:55 pm »

When a CGA type CRT isn't receiving any signal you'll hear a high-pitched whine as there is no sync to latch onto. Pretty normal.

You won't hear the whine if you've been to more than one Slayer concert, however.

, but he was saying it was making the high-pitched sound when it was connected and playing the game normally, or did i misunderstand?

-alby13
postmortem

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 07:33:03 pm »

So true. I've been to slayer concerts.. my hearing sucks

Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders
Pins: Bride of PinBot
TimeRunner

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 07:43:32 pm »

I went to a Marilyn Manson / Slayer concert. Slayer opened and was basically unintelligible due to the volume. Manson was half as loud although I couldn't hear everything over the damn Slayer ear ringing. Good times. Beer helped.
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:38:54 pm »

, but he was saying it was making the high-pitched sound when it was connected and playing the game normally, or did i misunderstand?
Yes, when the monitor is on there is a very high pitched noise. Just like when any old TV is on.  I suspect its at 15khz, but that's just my theory.
VertexGuy
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 01:17:16 am »

The screen looks like this http://imgur.com/wE1Nvw3

Ive been seeing that a lot lately.. I had two monitors blow out on me come to find out the remote boards were booty licked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: