John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:17:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: u5000 frustrations!!  (Read 2319 times)
Rayoshi

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:57:06 am »

Ok I bought a killer instinct 2 cab with a u5000 and all it was doing was clicking! after a ton of googling, a cap kit, flyback, 2 Hots, and a couple resisters. The clicking sound is gone! Great news I thought. but it still wont power up! I've got no neck glow! and when i "try" to discharge the monitor I get nothing. the B+ reads at only 7.8vDC which I know it needs to be around 115v. Im just at a wall and dont know what else to do.

Just looking for some pointers I guess. Thanks guys
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:39:01 am »

Check the power supply is giving out the proper voltages. Then if that doesn't work check the fuses that there the right values and not burnt out. I am no expert on this but it sounds to me like a power supply issue of some sort. Even if it isn't its still two good places to check.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:45:02 am »

Welcome to the frustration of the U5000.

Remove that jumper and turn it on.
Measure across the big green cap in the photo. You should be getting over 150V (this is okay for testing purposes)

There is a chance the SMPS controller died. If you have a short you should still be hearing the clicking sound. If that is not dead I would probably start thinking about the input power mosfet.
If everything checks out then you need to try to connect a 30W lightbulb up (i use a CFL, they work well enough) and remeasure across the capacitor. You should see around 130V (if not adjust the pot near the controller)

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Rayoshi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:34:59 pm »

What is this daughter board? My u5000 doesnt have that. Mine from what ive read is a modified u5000 it doesnt have the pin header to change it to med res.

VertexGuy
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:05:44 pm »

Ok I bought a killer instinct 2 cab with a u5000 and all it was doing was clicking! after a ton of googling, a cap kit, flyback, 2 Hots, and a couple resisters. The clicking sound is gone! Great news I thought. but it still wont power up! I've got no neck glow! and when i "try" to discharge the monitor I get nothing. the B+ reads at only 7.8vDC which I know it needs to be around 115v. Im just at a wall and dont know what else to do.

Just looking for some pointers I guess. Thanks guys

It went into Shutdown?
Rayoshi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 08:29:16 pm »

It doesnt start up. when i first got it it was clicking (which is what I thought was shutdown?) But now that Ive done a cap kit, flyback, changed some resistors (r100,r728,r760,r104, and r111)and now it doesnt click it just doesnt turn on. and i have no neck glow.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:31:31 am »

It doesnt start up. when i first got it it was clicking (which is what I thought was shutdown?) But now that Ive done a cap kit, flyback, changed some resistors (r100,r728,r760,r104, and r111)and now it doesnt click it just doesnt turn on. and i have no neck glow.

https://www.wellsgardner.com/pdf/Repair/U5000_25_inch.pdf
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 08:37:59 am »

when it isn't clicking, are you getting 130V at the B+ test point?
That little thing john posted is a good place to start. It sounds like the heater isn't running so you need to make sure your voltages are working and follow the chart.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 08:48:38 am »

when it isn't clicking, are you getting 130V at the B+ test point?
That little thing john posted is a good place to start. It sounds like the heater isn't running so you need to make sure your voltages are working and follow the chart.

Voltage regulator, B+, shutdown, something like that.

SHUTDOWN: C713, C730, Z701, IC U701,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: