John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:59:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I Replace My MAME 4-Way and With What?  (Read 9725 times)
WishItWas1984

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2015, 12:14:05 am »

I know I have a Frankenstein MAME setup but I love the real arcade controls of my SlikStik. It really transports me back and gives me the best arcade experience I can manage at home.

Anyway, I made the video below to show the Happs 4-Way that SlikStik put in way back when. It works fine for . My high score is 150K+ at home, but man does it suck for any kind of Pac-Man. I love Ms. Pac-Man and the looseness just kills it. It's so loose it's almost like I'm playing w/ an 8-Way if that makes sense.

Thing is, I bought it pre-assembled. The company is gone and even though I can get inside and probably figure out how to rip it out for a new one and reconnect it to the....I-PAC I believe?....inside....I just do not know what stick I should buy.

I've grown up with arcades since the beginning. I'm 40. I made 2 solo trips to Funspot and try and hit the local Barcades when I can. I know has a short throw from center to each direction.

If I remember right, Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man have more give, but still no where near the crap I have.

My questions are:

1) What stick do you recommend if my 4-Way games of choice are , Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man for the most part that will give as close to an arcade feel as possible while working with the existing internals?

2) Does anyone know what kind of Happs stick my 4-way is?

I appreciate the help immensely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoSqEqZA2Zc
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 12:38:11 am »

That's sick, does it work?

1. I would recommend Nintendos 4 way! The one you found in a DK cab! Or a Nintendo 8 ways, buy a 4 way plate from MikesArcade!
https://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/njoysticks.html

2. Mehta do you mean?
WishItWas1984

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 09:02:12 pm »

That's sick, does it work?

1. I would recommend Nintendos 4 way! The one you found in a DK cab! Or a Nintendo 8 ways, buy a 4 way plate from MikesArcade!
https://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/njoysticks.html

2. Mehta do you mean?

Thanks for the help. Do you mean find an old Nintendo 4-way and use Mike's to replace what I need? Cause I don't see a pre-built Nintendo 4-way on his site.

I think I may have a problem doing it official though. The height of the shaft on those is pretty short and the SlikStik I have is mounted from underneath with a considerable amount of wood to get through. I'll have to open it up and do some measuring this weekend.

I did some more research and was thinking one of the Happ Pac-Man/Galaga Reunion sticks as the best after-market alternative?
http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/joysticks/50-6084-1125R00

I definitely know I want to stay away from leaf switches since the original DK had micros.

For #2, I'm just wondering if anyone recognizes the Happ 4-way by just the video....SlikStik says they used all authentic arcade Happ parts but I don't remember what model joystick that is. The 8-way bats on my control panel I'm almost positive are Happ Ultimate or Competitions. Those 8-ways work perfectly for me though.
moogrum

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:27:23 am »

I used sanwa jlf joysticks on mine. The restrictor plates allow for 4 or 8 way.  To change them I just lift up my cp and do a 1/8 rotation and I really like them.
WishItWas1984

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:13:34 pm »

I used sanwa jlf joysticks on mine. The restrictor plates allow for 4 or 8 way.  To change them I just lift up my cp and do a 1/8 rotation and I really like them.

Thanks for the recommendation! I did some more research after your post and saw a lot of feedback that the Sanwa JLW, not the JLF, were preferable for classic 4-ways like DK.

Since the joys on my SlikStik are undermounted I realize now that I need long shaft joysticks. So I think I may be settled on the SANWA JLW-TM-8.

Unfortunately I can only find it from a UK dealer so all together it's like $45. Since whatever Happ is in my console now is good enough to get me up to 150k, I'm not sure I want to drop the coin on that right now.
moogrum

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation! I did some more research after your post and saw a lot of feedback that the Sanwa JLW, not the JLF, were preferable for classic 4-ways like DK.

Since the joys on my SlikStik are undermounted I realize now that I need long shaft joysticks. So I think I may be settled on the SANWA JLW-TM-8.

Unfortunately I can only find it from a UK dealer so all together it's like $45. Since whatever Happ is in my console now is good enough to get me up to 150k, I'm not sure I want to drop the coin on that right now.

Glad I could help.  If you are thinking of ordering from Ultimarc, you can order with confidence.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: