John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:18:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MAME vs 60 in 1  (Read 3062 times)
scatman

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2016, 04:12:40 pm »

HI all,

I know nothing compares to the actual real arcade game.  Needless to say, I don't have room, nor can I afford 200 machines. So considering building a multi-machine to accomodate this.  I have never played on a 60 in 1 type machine, however I do use MAME which has its advantage of more game choices.  So now my question; Which would you consider better at getting closest to the real thing in terms of emulating?

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:11:01 pm »

MAME is gonna be better. The 60 in 1 is a flavor of old MAME. The 60 in 1 is great because it's stupid easy if you have a JAMMA harness to plug into.
scatman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:43:53 pm »

Plus I can design a nice frontend to use on top.

Thanks for the heads-up...
smonroe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 05:15:40 pm »

If you're talking a 60 in 1, get an ArcadeSD card. Moat accurate multiJAMMA card out there.
darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:19:25 pm »

If you're talking a 60 in 1, get an ArcadeSD card. Moat accurate multiJAMMA card out there.
I was going to say Arcade SD.  Plays more games and won't break like that cheap Chinese junk that is most 60-1 boards

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Furniture_Nerd

1985 was... HOW long ago?!? Yeesh.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 11:34:35 pm »

I've had a 60-in-1 in my space invaders homage cabinet for a couple of years, and the only thing it won't do is save high scores. Other than that it's actually been quite reliable and fun. I have been fairly impressed with the Pandora's Box 3 that I have, but it's better for the more modern games like Metal Slug and the Capcom fighting games. It's not so great with the emulation of the classics. I think the 60-in-1 is better for the classics.
To each his own though. I also have a mame cabinet running on a Mac mini and setup for 4 players. The front end isn't the best for macs though, so maybe that's why I don't like it as well as the multigame jamma pcb's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I am nerdy about furniture...and a lot of other things. But mostly furniture. And a lot of other things.
BrianWithAnI

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:58:02 am »

A MAME cabinet is a lot of fun but takes a good amount of time to finish. I'm always tweeking it, adding games and customizing the front end.

I'd recommend a MAME cabinet but don't think it's going to be ready in a weekend.
wally

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 07:41:57 pm »

done both multiple times 60 in one is a set it and forget it type setup the arcade SD is very nice and offers more games and a top notch front end.  Mame is more complex ever evolving and overall a great way to try out thousands of games you have never heard of.  it just depends on what you are trying to play. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: