John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:27:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pacman Speaker- Loud Hum  (Read 4176 times)
Bach730

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2014, 10:26:28 am »

While I'm still working monitor issues, one consistent issue is that my Pacman has a loud hum coming from the speaker. I haven't been able to hear any other game sounds yet at all. I've been doing some searching but haven't really found any solid suggestions.

I have replaced a couple of sound-related ic's on the pcb (and will probably replace the amp etc) and have a pcb recap kit on the way as well. Are there any go-to tests that I should focus on? Something specific I should look at first that's maybe more obvious to those more experienced with this issue?

Thanks!!!
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 01:48:36 pm »

While I'm still working monitor issues, one consistent issue is that my Pacman has a loud hum coming from the speaker. I haven't been able to hear any other game sounds yet at all. I've been doing some searching but haven't really found any solid suggestions.

I have replaced a couple of sound-related ic's on the pcb (and will probably replace the amp etc) and have a pcb recap kit on the way as well. Are there any go-to tests that I should focus on? Something specific I should look at first that's maybe more obvious to those more experienced with this issue?

Thanks!!!
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure it's not the edge connector. Wiggle it while the game is on to see if you can get it to go away. Mine was humming bad and it was the edge connector. Bad connection
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »

What John said. He helped me diagnose that on my Ms. Pac too. It was discovered that moving the wires on the edge connector helped the hum come and go. I even had the hum bar going across the screen.  This should help do the trick if it gets to that extreme:

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/hum.html
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:36:46 pm »

That edge connector seems to cause a lot of problems. My Mrs. Pacman won't boot sometimes but if I wiggle the edge connector I can get it to boot. I just need to change the darn thing and get it over with. Sounds like a good idea for any Pacman or Mrs. Pacman.
VertexGuy
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 09:25:21 pm »

I just went through this twice this month on two diff pac machines.
on one, I installed a new power supply... went away .. hum bars gone.

on the other.. I swapped it to a switcher and changed the edge connector..
had a loud ass hum before.. now silent with no hum bars.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: