John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:40:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Asteroids Deluxe Issue (Fixed)  (Read 6652 times)
jasonsmith

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2014, 08:23:49 pm »

Hey guys, I'm about to by an AD and the seller states that it started humm louder than normal, text started to flash on the screen and then the screen went dead. That happened after being on for an hour after not being turned on for months. After starting it up again after there's still no screen.

Any info you guys could give me would be great, I don't want to buy something that's going to need a whole new monitor.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:21:52 pm by jasonsmith » Logged
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »

the letters might been a glitch caused by a fail power supply.
also check the inside of the cab for loose metal debris  , I always do that before I even plug in a new machine.
one time I found 188 bux worth of quarters rolling around in a cab when I got it home.
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:30:16 pm »

I guess that could cause the Humm as well maybe?
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:24:45 am »

Okay guys, I got it!! It's a really really nice machine. The art is amazing and still shiny and bright, the whole things looks awesome except it don't work as we already knew.

At first I would get the beeps on start up with the 1 and 2 player lights lit up solid and the spot killer led active signifying that I might have a connector issue or a main cap on the power supply. Restarting a couple times seems to have killed it further so now I have no 1 and 2 player lights, no beeps, no lights on the pcb. The monitor neck glows (phew) with spot kill active and the marquee and black light turn on.

I've checked the voltages at the two test points on the regulator board. With the pcb disconnected I only get 4.0 volts at the 5 volt test point and the same 4.0 volts at the 10.3 test point. With the pcb connector connected I get next to nothing for voltages at those two points. I guess I have an issue on that board. As per this website it states to change a transistor. http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/asteroidtech/asteroidsrepair.html#P3

4. Problem: No video, P1 and P2 unlit. No Game Play.

Cause: No 5V from the Audio/Regulator board.

Fix: Replace the 2N3055 (Q3) transistor.

Here is the schematic from this area, can anyone lend a hand to anything else I should check.

jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 12:51:23 pm »

Okay so went out and got a new transistor and popped it in. I still can't get the voltage to 5v on the test point and adjusting the pot does nothing. However replacing the transistor fixed something and now it's gone into this state:

Problem: P1/P2 Blink Flash. No Game Play.

When the machine is turned on, the lighted player one/player two buttons blink/flash, and the game continually resets or basically looks like its doing nothing.  The spot killer is lit.

a. Fix: Check the power supply, the large capacitor sometimes comes loose, you'll have to remove it from the cabinet to check it from the bottom.

b. Fix: When my board had that problem, it turned out to be loose caps on the board. Specifically, the largish ones on the right upper side. They mostly have to do with the sound FX circuits. But, if they come loose and make/break contact, they send surges that reset the board. The other suggestions I've seen are valid too. Those caps however, since they stick up off the board, may tend to get loose first, but you should probably check all solder joints.

c. Fix: Resocket all EPROMs.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 01:55:17 pm »

Once you get the voltage issue sorted out (rebuild the power supply) you wanna start looking at sockets. They are a common failure point on the PCB. My game occasionally beeps and a chip reseat also fixes the issue. Eventually I'll replace the PCB sockets.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 02:16:13 pm »

are you still getting 4V at the 10.3V unregulated? I would remove the 5v regulator completely and start with the power brick. Make sure you are getting the right AC voltage. Make sure the bridge rectifier is working correctly.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 03:52:01 pm »

Yep still getting the same voltages sadly. Gonna put in a new lm305 voltage regulator tomorrow and see if that helps. Going to pull out the psu and check everything. Then going to pull the pcb and reseat all the chips and check the solder joints.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 04:01:10 pm »

the 10.3v is unregulated from the power brick. disconnect the power supply completely from the power brick and test that. if you aren't getting 10.3v  there then you need to figure out whats wrong with the brick. the power supply could very well be working just fine but without enough voltage the 5v regulator can't do anything.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 04:26:16 pm »

I've tested the output voltage from the main brick at the fuses and I think everything is good there. At one point I got the symptoms of the regulator failure but my electronic store didn't have one.
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 05:25:31 pm »

Going to take out and isolate the brick and check "big blue" for its connection. Now when I look at the schematic for the power supply it shows brackets on two fuses showing one voltage of 36v.  If I check them one at a time they read 18 volts each is that normal? I should be checking both of them at the same time right since they are bracketed on the diagram. I'll post a pic.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csemw6xakuq4gqa/Screenshot_2014-03-21-15-26-51.png
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:34:17 pm by jasonsmith » Logged
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 05:38:35 pm »

the 10.3v is unregulated from the power brick. disconnect the power supply completely from the power brick and test that. if you aren't getting 10.3v  there then you need to figure out whats wrong with the brick. the power supply could very well be working just fine but without enough voltage the 5v regulator can't do anything.

Ah okay I get what you're saying here. Can you take a look a my pic and see if I'm measuring the brick correctly.  I'd like to eliminate as I go. I wish there was a generic idiots guide to troubleshooting these machines.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »

I guess that could cause the Humm as well maybe?

No that's usually a line filter
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:21:39 pm »

Alright guys it's working!!!  Grin

All I did was take out the main psu and check all the connections which were good and put it back in and I saw the game on the screen. There is a slight possibility that the last time I just looked at the flashing buttons and didn't give the screen time to warm up  Lips Sealed Of course the buttons are going to flash when it's in free play  ;)

Anyways so if we're going to deduce any fix here it was the voltage transistor causing the issue. I still don't get why my voltage was only 4.2 volts vs the 5 that is should be at that test point. Maybe I should check it again. Idunno.

It's working great though. Thanks to all for your help here.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 07:32:17 pm »

Alright guys it's working!!!  Grin

All I did was take out the main psu and check all the connections which were good and put it back in and I saw the game on the screen. There is a slight possibility that the last time I just looked at the flashing buttons and didn't give the screen time to warm up  Lips Sealed Of course the buttons are going to flash when it's in free play  ;)

Anyways so if we're going to deduce any fix here it was the voltage transistor causing the issue. I still don't get why my voltage was only 4.2 volts vs the 5 that is should be at that test point. Maybe I should check it again. Idunno.

It's working great though. Thanks to all for your help here.

Amazing work!! I'm really happy for you! WOW!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: