John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:24:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: asteroids help  (Read 1737 times)
kevlarunderwear22

kev

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:00:20 pm »

While fixing a "hum" on my asteroids, I was desoldering  an LM324 (audio amp IC) on the pcb. but being a newbie I messed it up (maybe shorted something and/or ruined the chip) . when I went to power up the whole game was dead, except the marquee. wouldn't play blind, and the p1,p2 lights just steadily lit.
   Now upon power up I get neckglow for a second and then quickly almost no glow (is this the spot killer kicking in?)
   At the edge connector im getting just 8vac at pin 20, while the manual shows I should be getting 36vac. also im only getting 5 and 10vac at pins 7 and 10 of the molex connector feeding the monitor, when I should be getting 30vac. and  im not showing any voltage at the X and Y outs of the pcb.
   I am getting the proper 5 and 10.3vdc on the AR board, and I am getting 5vdc at pin 2 of the pcb edge connector.  Ive recapped the whole game including big blue, and replaced the bottlecap transistors on the chassis, and all fuses are good.  I really hope someone can point a newbie in the right direction. thanks for any help
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:34:32 pm »

well first reinspect all of your work. you probably are still shorting something out.

The monitor is in spot killer so you are fine there.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
kevlarunderwear22

kev

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 11:05:25 pm »

thanks for the suggestion Ian, ill do that. I don't know how something as simple as an audio amp chip would kill the whole game. I did discover a small 3- leg transistor that had been "twisted" so the legs were shorting against themselves. ill be so happy if I can bring that game back to life.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 01:44:50 pm »

if you managed to short the power rails to a pin you might be drawing too much current and killing off the supply.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
kevlarunderwear22

kev

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:27:27 am »

I am showing 20vdc on the two LM324N chips located on the main pcb. (boy that seems like a lot of voltage). but at least theres power there.
these are quad op amps that are notorious for causing a hum.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: