John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:10:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello All! from Wichita, KS  (Read 1325 times)
Furniture_Nerd

1985 was... HOW long ago?!? Yeesh.

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:52:31 pm »

Just picked up my first REAL ninty cabinet last weekend! I've been building mame cabinets for a couple of years now.  Finally found an authentic cabinet on Craigslist that was (somewhat) reasonably-priced, so I drove two hours to get it and bring back to mi casa. 
It's a DKJR cabinet with the VS SMB conversion. At least, I think it's an authentic conversion as near as I can tell.
The cabinet is in need of some love, the monitor has a lot of burn and needs a new cap kit, amp has a lot of buzz to it... This thing reminds me of that scene in the movie Ghostbusters when Ray is explaining to Peter all of the things that are wrong with the car, yet still thinks he got a good on it.  Ha! 
My plan is to do a full-on restoration of this cabinet, and I'll be asking for some opinions on what I should do with it in terms of color, artwork, etc.
Super excited to finally have an authentic cabinet.  Something I never would have dreamed possible as a kid playing these games at Aladdin's Castle at the mall thirty years ago!

Thanks John for building such a helpful and fun resource for noobs like me! Grin

Yes, I am nerdy about furniture...and a lot of other things. But mostly furniture. And a lot of other things.
Furniture_Nerd

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:30:17 pm »

Here are some photos of my first REAL cabinet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I am nerdy about furniture...and a lot of other things. But mostly furniture. And a lot of other things.
darkcat1

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:43:45 pm »

Nice to meet someone else who is just getting started.  I have three machines and I am in process of fully restoring one

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Furniture_Nerd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 08:43:41 am »

Good Luck to you sir! Looking forward to seeing your progress. This seems to be a lot like restoring a classic car, just on a smaller scale. Lots of research, parts can sometimes be difficult to find, etc. A fun hobby though. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: