John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:23:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vs Nintendo Power Issue?  (Read 2040 times)
thedude

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:21:05 pm »

Hi,

I've had a vs machine for some years now. About a year ago I left it on overnight and came downstairs the next day to only the marquee lit up. Upon plugging in, I only get the marquee with no video or sound. There is a hum from the monitor but no display. I really don't know where to start and am wondering if you guys may have any ideas.

Thanks for your help!
Brian
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:59:46 pm »

When i first read the title I though this had to do with the magazine at first! Have you just tried just checking all the connections. It sounds like your monitor is fine (maybe). Any other Rom's/Boards available to test?

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
thedude

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:14:34 pm »

Ha - yeah re-reading the title...oops.

Anyway, back to the topic. I did switch between two known working boards (Super Mario & Top Gun). Same result for both. I checked all the connections and they seem tight. And since the marquee and monitor (both plugged into the outlet in the cabinet) work, that says the transformer is good I think. Since that outlet is run straight from the transformer. Is there a fuse or anything to check within the power supply?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:22:47 pm »

I am not personally familiar with the Vs but I can try to give you some general tips. There is usually a breaker or fuse in or near the power supply. I would start by taking a multimeter and just checking to see if the board has power (you can do this by checking the 5V->GND and 12V->GND off the edge connector). If no power, check for a fuse/breaker. If there is power you are going to be getting much deeper into the board.

thedude

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 10:04:24 pm »

@iankellogg, I'll do that, thanks. I highly doubt it's PCB related as I have three working boards and I tried two of them with the exact same result. So it sounds like it's in the power supply somewhere. I'll pull it out and have a look around.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 10:13:29 am »

Well I am saying check to make sure the harness has power. I highly suspect it is a power supply issue.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: