John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 12:05:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VS Unisystem (Upright Cabinet Issue)  (Read 3102 times)
xXZombieJoeXx

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2015, 06:14:12 pm »

Hello,

I just recently purchased my first arcade machine, and I seem to have run into some issues. When i got the machine home i would get video, but the controls were unresponsive. At this point i thought something must be loose, and so i followed the wires and checked all my connections but even after disconnnecting and reconnecting everything the controls would not respond still. At this point i checked other things that I thought would cause the issue, like loose connections in the harness that goes to the PCB. I took the board out and gave the contacts a good cleaning, and put it all back together. However, after this point I could not get video, sound, or any response from the controlls. The monitor powers on, and you can hear the speaker pop when doing so, but the only visuals I am getting is either green, blue, or even sometimes a black screen with lines on the monitor. I had replaced 2 of the fuses that run to the power supply, but still seeing the same results. Has anyone ever ran into this issue, or possibly know how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated as I am itching to play Vs. Super Mario Bros.
Cyborg2000

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:20:32 pm »

I would tend to think you might have two separate problems.

The control issue sounds like there may be a bad ground connection to the control panel. The ground is usually daisy chained across the controls so a break in the connection can make multiple controls unresponsive.

Your second issue now after cleaning the board sounds like it might now be a lack of power to the board. You should check to make sure the board is getting power and that your harness is connected properly.   I had a similar issue to what you described and it turned out to be a bad power supply.   If all your power checks out you might try to reseat all the roms, ppu and cpu on the vs board.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xXZombieJoeXx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 11:47:27 pm »

Thank you for that info, I will go ahead and order a new power supply first since im sure the old one is about shot as it is. Any idea on what amperage to go with for the new one? After i get the new power supply in I will check the grounds for the controls and get back with you on it. I plan to fully restore this beauty, but i atleast want it working before doing so. Smiley
xXZombieJoeXx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:29:30 pm »

Alright, so I checked my power supply last night and found that it was working as it should. I had to fine tune the pot, but everything is checking out. Also, I have reseated all the chips on the board, and went back and checked all of my connections, but I am still getting the same result. Are there any fuses that I am missing besides the two near the bottom of the machine?
Cyborg2000

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:14:23 pm »

Power supply is ok. Next check is are you getting power to the board?  You can check this at the pcb connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xXZombieJoeXx

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 01:45:44 am »

Does both AC points on the power supply need to read about 120? Bc one is but the other is only reading like 2. I checked power to the PCB and the board was showing about 5.03 on the chips. Some of the chips had weird readings though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: