John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:37:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VS. Super Mario Bros HUM  (Read 2607 times)
StevesArcade

Its NOT impossible!

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2014, 01:46:32 am »

Hey guys, I just got a VS super mario bros and when I power up the cabinet it has a HUM coming from the speaker I believe.  Where do I start to get rid of this issue?

Thanks guys.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:36:05 am »

Hey guys, I just got a VS super mario bros and when I power up the cabinet it has a HUM coming from the speaker I believe.  Where do I start to get rid of this issue?

Thanks guys.

I would start by capping the audio amp which is to the left of the monitor chassis assuming you have a 20EZ.

Slight/minor hum can be normal on these games too.

Also, make sure your connections are all good.
StevesArcade

Its NOT impossible!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:40:17 am »

Thanks john!  Ill give that a shot this weekend.  Keep up the great work on the videos.  Arcade looks great!
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:26:56 pm »

To add to what John said, recap or replace the video board. Don't forget to have some thermal transfer paste on hand. They usually don't include that in the audio board cap kits.

Also, replace the power cord if the ground prong is missing or the cord is frayed in any way (safety first) and replace the ac line filter. (Bob Roberts has those)

Those things should reduce the hum. A little hum is considered original/authentic.

Tighe has experimented with ferrite bead chokes to reduce or eliminate the hum with varying levels of success. Might check with him or his videos on that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:28:53 pm by computerfixerguy » Logged
StevesArcade

Its NOT impossible!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:59:57 pm »

Awesome I appreciate it.  It does need a new cord.  Looks like the ground plug has been snapped off.  Also I noticed that it looks like it has a switching power supply in the cabinet.  Ill try and get some pics this weekend so you can see what im working with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: