John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:30:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One screen died?  (Read 3114 times)
strassy

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2015, 03:28:42 pm »

Fired up my vs dualsystem for the first time in about a month yesterday.  One side is playing fine, the other side (RBI Baseball) makes the "PLONK" noise that it makes on startup, but no further sound is heard.  As for the screen, no display is visible, but some globs of green and blue are visible on part of the screen.  It almost looks like I'm looking into space or something on that order.  Any ideas what the issue might be?
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 04:15:05 am »

Did you try restart, same thing?
Can be one of the caps gone dry!
Start with voltage check, then take a look over the board to see if you can see anything odd, know that vs board has allots of caps, depending on plonk sound it might differ!

Have you been moving the cab, or done something else that might losing some of the connectors, or harmed the main board?
strassy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 04:02:13 pm »

Did you try restart, same thing?
Can be one of the caps gone dry!
Start with voltage check, then take a look over the board to see if you can see anything odd, know that vs board has allots of caps, depending on plonk sound it might differ!

Have you been moving the cab, or done something else that might losing some of the connectors, or harmed the main board?

I tried restarting it four times, same thing happened each time.  The cab and the main board have been sitting still for several months.  The cab hasn't moved in two years and the board was only moved once, which was several months ago when I took it out to swap the other side from Castlevania to SMB...but I played it several times since then and both sides worked fine.

Thanks for the info...if a voltage check is showing no voltage in some parts of the board, is it just a matter of changing a cap?
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 06:21:05 pm »

Well to tell you the trues! No!
Caps are something that gets bad after time! But there are many more things that also can be related to blue screen!
Basic logic thought is like the NES, if you blow (as you should not do) it starts to work problem!
But you can start with looking on caps, touch and see if maybe one came loose last swap, or if you can see one that's looks suspect! I know there at allots of caps!
You can also try to reseat all roms that's moveable!

If you could give me an pic on the board, talked if you put the board on a bench! We might see something!!!

Σ( ̄。 ̄ノ)ノ
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:36:33 am »

Pictures help always, I cant tell if you are saying the monitor kind of works or not. Easy thing ot do though is to just swap the monitor conenctions. switch which games goes to which monitor and retest.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
strassy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 01:10:46 am »

Strangely enough, it is working again.  I tried it several times over a span of a few days, and nothing.  Then I tried it again last week, and it suddenly works again.  Played it a few time with no problems.  I assume this means that something is dying, but I guess I'll cross the bridge when I come to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: