John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 12:42:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: need help picking a monitor to keep  (Read 1552 times)
Xeno_Dragon

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2014, 12:33:42 pm »

I have acquire 2 games. A darkstalker in a fair condition red Z-back and a steel falcons which I'm just gutting. I have a nanao ms8, wg7000, pentranic pc1027, and a hantarex mtc9110. I don't have room for all these monitor. My first question is which 2 are worth keeping, if they are working? (Picture quality and reliability) And which 2 would you keep in there current stat.
- Nanao ms8 is using a donor tube
- Wg7000 is chassis only and broken (missing pots and the big ceramic resistor broken)
- Pentranic work with dim colour and a bit of tearing on the lower right
- Hantarex did not turn on (no input hook up to it)
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:11:00 pm »

In my experience, Hantarex = piece of shit.   Just don't bother investing in it.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
VertexGuy
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:27 pm »

what he said
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:03:51 am »

Hantarexis a good monitor when it works, it looks good, when it works. they are very difficult for novices to fix when they don't work.

Nanao is a known pile of trash. I don't think they fail all that often but the tubes don't seem to have many hours of usable life in them and usually fail (far worse problem than a bad chassis). I think you have noticed that as it is using a donor tube that is probably not from nanao and probably isn't subject to failure like the originals. Sadly there is little to no information around this monitor so when it does fail, you are kind of boned. Schematic does exist so fixing them is possible but it looks to be about as complicated as Hantarex.

K7000 is a good monitor, they are easy to fix and there are many people out there that know how to fix them (buffett)

Never seen a pentranic before

Keep the nanao in its current state

Try to fix up the k7000 and find a tube. but at least hold onto the chassis for now

Hantarex might be worthwhile but if its broke, give it to someone that might be able to use it.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: