John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:05:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gottlieb Cleopatra  (Read 1888 times)
pimppride

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:19:00 pm »

talking with an old friend today, an it turns towards electronics & games, I learn he has a Gottlieb Cleopatra with an issue and a MS. Pacman cocktail with issues, it sounds like he's interested in getting the pinball working and passing off the cocktail...

I've offered to take a look at them but have yet to work on a pinball machine, the symptoms are, once you flip the power on the scoreboard lights up and does its thing, but the lower box doesn't give the loud crack an fire off, he said it stopped working when it was moved, so that is usually something loose? ( with any luck ) where should I start ?

in talking I asked him if the scoreboard was digital to gauge the age of the machine an he said yes, but now looking online its a 1977 built pin an looks all electric / mechanical ... I am biting a little more then I can chew but feel confident with examining it

any advice is appreciated
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:15:28 pm »

talking with an old friend today, an it turns towards electronics & games, I learn he has a Gottlieb Cleopatra with an issue and a MS. Pacman cocktail with issues, it sounds like he's interested in getting the pinball working and passing off the cocktail...

I've offered to take a look at them but have yet to work on a pinball machine, the symptoms are, once you flip the power on the scoreboard lights up and does its thing, but the lower box doesn't give the loud crack an fire off, he said it stopped working when it was moved, so that is usually something loose? ( with any luck ) where should I start ?

in talking I asked him if the scoreboard was digital to gauge the age of the machine an he said yes, but now looking online its a 1977 built pin an looks all electric / mechanical ... I am biting a little more then I can chew but feel confident with examining it

any advice is appreciated

Looks like that's a transitional pin. There is a solid state and an EM version of that pinball.
pimppride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:04:02 pm »

so I'm hoping its solid state that should be easier to troubleshoot & work on... will post more when I know more...
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:50:43 am »

honestly, I hope its the EM because its easier to work on that the early Gottlieb solid state. Gottliebs old SS boards are BAD. they have LOADS of electrical issues to the point its easier to buy a new made replacement board (niwumpf or rottendog) than with the poor design of these boards.

Gottlieb System 1 is some nasty shit to be working on.

if your really lucky, re-seating the connectors will fix things. just remember it is a 1979 pin tho, things are going to be very brittle so be very careful.

start here;
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/#intro

and here
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
pimppride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:40:11 pm »

WHOA  Shocked  that is some real Evander Holyfield stuff right thurr...

this is the mother of information for this Gottlieb pin

thanks goes without saying for these links, the repair info is very well written...   

after a brief 1 hour once over on these links... I am praying its something simple like " a ball roll tilt switch "

wish me luck...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: