John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:23:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a question about pinball games.  (Read 3186 times)
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2013, 11:32:52 pm »

I've got many questions, but ill try to keep them simpler.

If you saw an old wood rail pinball machine at an arcade would you play it and why?

When you play a pinball machine what makes it interesting to you? Lots of targets to hit or shots that are harder to hit?

Does the theme affect your immediate reaction upon seeing a new game?

Do you like gimmicks in your pinball games? Those little odd things that you'd probably never see outside of that particular pinball machine.

I ask these things because I'm trying to get into the mindset of a player who goes to the arcade and plays machines regularly. Also I think it'd make good conversation for the forum. Seeings as I'm the first person other than John to post in here ;)

Sadly there is no arcade's where I live currently, otherwise I'd go to it and learn in person.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 11:22:45 am »

I've got many questions, but ill try to keep them simpler.

If you saw an old wood rail pinball machine at an arcade would you play it and why?

When you play a pinball machine what makes it interesting to you? Lots of targets to hit or shots that are harder to hit?

Does the theme affect your immediate reaction upon seeing a new game?

Do you like gimmicks in your pinball games? Those little odd things that you'd probably never see outside of that particular pinball machine.

I ask these things because I'm trying to get into the mindset of a player who goes to the arcade and plays machines regularly. Also I think it'd make good conversation for the forum. Seeings as I'm the first person other than John to post in here ;)

Sadly there is no arcade's where I live currently, otherwise I'd go to it and learn in person.

I'd play a woodrail because I have not tried one before!

When I look for a pinball machine I want one for the home that has lots of depth and is FUN. The theme is also important to me but not as important as FUN and DEPTH. I also like light-hearted games that have a good sense of humor. That's probably why I lean towards games that are from the late 80s and beyond as they have a lot more personality than the older games, the newer games tell a story.

I am not a fan of the pinball mods or modding my games in general. I like to keep stuff original!
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:32:44 pm »

Can you define what makes it fun? Also what do you mean by depth?

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:03:37 pm »

Can you define what makes it fun? Also what do you mean by depth?

A lot of games have very deep rules that aren't obvious after the first few plays. Some pins I have owned didn't make sense until months after owning them. I love those little discoveries. The Simpsons Pinball party is an amazing deep game and I kept discovering new things to do in the game. It was amazing!

What makes a game fun?! Well that's a bit relative! Smiley
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 03:09:46 pm »

Myself I think I like having 3 of those mushroom bumpers I think there called and the ball bouncing off them. Thinking on that gave me an idea XD

Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:34:53 pm »

John's Right.  Rule set is huge. Especially if it's going to be something in your home.

I grew up playing arcade and pinball games in the 80's and early 90's. I always played more arcade games but that was because there were more of them.   When I played pinball, I can't honestly say that I knew the rule set on any game back then.  Actually, there was one.   It was white water and that was only cause it was the pin I played the most.   

So now, as I've got back into the hobby, I'm starting to see what all these games were actually about.  Each one has a different strategy.  I would say the 90's pins are my personal favorites.  Lots of depth, tons of modes, multiple multiballs, and in general, most of the games were non licensed games. 

That's my problem with Stern these days. Every pin they have released in the last 13 years is a licensed game.  I think original themes are better.   Granted they require the designer to be a bit more creative, I think they have more staying power than a CSI, or a 24 pin.   

And the way Stern prices their games these days, I think it's getting a bit ridiculous.  They love to blame price on the fact that they have to pay for licenses.   Well, I say get some better designers and do an original theme. And quit trying to rip us off with all these different models.    Pro, Premium, Limited Edition, green hulk edition, Magneto edition ect......  They take a complete game, which they should be charging whatever, $6000 , $6500 for nib.   We'll, then they strip off the toys, some modes, sometimes part of the playfield (ac/dc), artwork ect...  And then they call that the Pro.  We'll, if you want the complete game, you need to pay another $2000.   And they call that the premium, or limited edition.  It's Retarted.  And then you can wait for a couple of years to see if they are ever going to finish the code on the game you paid $8500 for.    Fuck you Stern.    And it looks like they have even gave up on finishing code on some of their games.    Looking forward to the new Mustang pin?   I don't think so stern. 

And yes, I know, you can say JJP charges the same.   Well, your right.   But I also think they are making a better product.  Sterns new Star Trek could have been built literally 15 years ago.  They finally decided to change it up and go all led's. And clear inserts, which they copied off of JJP.  Anyways, they are still using a dmd, a fan layout, nothing innovative.   JJP's first pin had all color changing led's, and LCD display, (which it looks like sterns mustang will still be using a dmd) clear inserts, 2 raised play fields, wide body, tons of toys, and some innovative out lane games.   And from what I understand, the first release of WoZ, they were sold for $6500! 

I know, I know,  I sound like I have a hard on for JJP.  Well, it's not that.  I'm just glad there is some competition for the same old stern. And I am also excited to hear that ther new pin will be an original design.

Ok, what was this post about?    Sorry, I got a bit off track.

Yeah, pinball is fun. 
Hyderyoda

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:51:36 am »

Simpsons Party here I come to go pick you up !!!Next week !

Line up ~ Mario wide body, DK ,Time Pilot, Street Fighter II,  Neo Geo , Legends of Gauntlet , Need for speed Underground. Pin Line up (Data East) , Swords of Fury , Mata Hari
ronsplooter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 05:31:53 pm »

Pinball is one of those things where one mans turd is another mans gem  Smiley Best thing to do is play as many different games from different eras as possible and you'll start to build up a hit list of games that you like.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: