John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 19, 2024, 03:32:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first project has started!  (Read 2363 times)
nathanbush

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:21:02 pm »

I picked up my first cabinet last week for only £80's so i believe i got a as it came with a neo geo 6 in 1 board with 4 games that he just gave to me as he was selling for someone else.  He didnt know if they worked? Its a jamma cab with Golf greats by konami which is alright but i just wanted a cab that wasnt too far from my house.  I watched the auction episode and i was shocked how cheap things are over in the states, as they are mental prices here and the delivery charges are as well Sad The bloke didnt havent the keys but coin door was open so i could play a bit.  After waiting a week i decided to drill the lock off which worked only to have the bloke txt me to say he was posting the keys i was going to buy new keys anyway.  Ill get some pictures up soon to show my progress but so far this is what ive done.....

1) Changed the marquee blub and cap which worked! Smiley Let there be light!

2) The power cord was in two parts and kept tripping the power off in the garage so got new cord and plug and wired them up, which didnt trip the power! Lucky im an electrician but most people could do this anyway.

Next job is to clean up the cab and start sanding all the metal pieces for painting.

Questions - My monitor just doesnt seem to be giving a perfect picture and its only today i opened the back but any suggestions would be appreciated as there are a load of knobs and im not sure what to turn.  Ill get the model tomorrow and get back..

Also as im new to this i pluged the 6in1 to my jamma and had a grey screen with a few black blocks on it? Keep in mind this has been in someones garage for a while and ive only plugged it in the last few days if that makes a difference?

Also picking up next cab which is a total carnage on monday for a bargin but ive been told it works but has some gfx problems? any suggestions?

Thanks for your time
Nathan
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 04:55:28 pm »

I picked up my first cabinet last week for only £80's so i believe i got a as it came with a neo geo 6 in 1 board with 4 games that he just gave to me as he was selling for someone else.  He didnt know if they worked? Its a jamma cab with Golf greats by konami which is alright but i just wanted a cab that wasnt too far from my house.  I watched the auction episode and i was shocked how cheap things are over in the states, as they are mental prices here and the delivery charges are as well Sad The bloke didnt havent the keys but coin door was open so i could play a bit.  After waiting a week i decided to drill the lock off which worked only to have the bloke txt me to say he was posting the keys i was going to buy new keys anyway.  Ill get some pictures up soon to show my progress but so far this is what ive done.....

2) The power cord was in two parts and kept tripping the power off in the garage so got new cord and plug and wired them up, which didnt trip the power! Lucky im an electrician but most people could do this anyway.

Next job is to clean up the cab and start sanding all the metal pieces for painting.

Questions - My monitor just doesnt seem to be giving a perfect picture and its only today i opened the back but any suggestions would be appreciated as there are a load of knobs and im not sure what to turn.  Ill get the model tomorrow and get back..

Also as im new to this i pluged the 6in1 to my jamma and had a grey screen with a few black blocks on it? Keep in mind this has been in someones garage for a while and ive only plugged it in the last few days if that makes a difference?

Also picking up next cab which is a total carnage on monday for a bargin but ive been told it works but has some gfx problems? any suggestions?

Thanks for your time
Nathan

I'm no expert but no ones responded to you so far so ill give you general advice. Monitors were generally made to be ran for 12+ hours a day. This is important because the tube in the neck of the monitor needs time to warm up knowing exactly what monitor would help someone more knowledgeable than myself be able to help you better.

Also future reference you dont need to drill a lock if you have access to the inside of the coin door. Theres basically just a washer on the back you can unscrew and that will allow the assembly to come out. I know your new you didn't know it was that easy all good.

there should be three knobs on the monitor that control the color of the monitor i wouldn't mess with them till you know what they do but basically they just control the red green and blue. I'd like to know more on how the monitor isnt "exactly perfect" so that we can help better on that too because i dont want to say its a simple color problem and find out its a bad capacitor or something.

That's all ive got for the moment let us know and im sure someone here could help you out better or i can attempt to help.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
nathanbush

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 05:26:50 pm »

Top man thanks for your reply!
There was no way i could of got at the back door key so its off with no damage thank god!
Ive found the monitor manual online but havent had time to play with it as ive stript the machine down to clean it up ready for painting but thanks anyway.  I met this man the other day that said the machines need warmth as it had been in a garage for sum time so i took the pcb in2 my house and left it air and get heat if that'll help?
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 05:45:10 pm »

As its a monitor issue no the actual tube in the back of the monitor needs to warm up. The pcb has nothing to do with the warming up factor. basically when you get it all back together let the game warm up for probably half an hour before you want to play it, you don't have to but if you want the monitor to be at its peak performance first then just let it warm up.

I meant the front door where the coins do in if the door is already unlocked but you don't have a key its actually easier to just take the nut off the back. Also less wear on your drill bits. Back door yea that i can understand drilling out there's really no way to get into it from the inside just be careful doing so.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:45:26 pm »

I picked up my first cabinet last week for only £80's so i believe i got a as it came with a neo geo 6 in 1 board with 4 games that he just gave to me as he was selling for someone else.  He didnt know if they worked? Its a jamma cab with Golf greats by konami which is alright but i just wanted a cab that wasnt too far from my house.  I watched the auction episode and i was shocked how cheap things are over in the states, as they are mental prices here and the delivery charges are as well Sad The bloke didnt havent the keys but coin door was open so i could play a bit.  After waiting a week i decided to drill the lock off which worked only to have the bloke txt me to say he was posting the keys i was going to buy new keys anyway.  Ill get some pictures up soon to show my progress but so far this is what ive done.....

Questions - My monitor just doesnt seem to be giving a perfect picture and its only today i opened the back but any suggestions would be appreciated as there are a load of knobs and im not sure what to turn.  Ill get the model tomorrow and get back..

Thanks for your time
Nathan

About, the monitor having an iffy picture.. On the back of the monitor there is usually a Red, Green, Blue, and Brightness adjustment. Also, on the flyback there is usually a brightness and focus adjustment. If you can't get the best picture after adjusting it, you might want to consider doing a cap kit on it. To find these, you can usually just type in "MONITOR MODEL NUMBER, BRAND etc." then cap kit on Google and you can prob. manage to find it (Real Cheap). Mr_Rampage is right too, You will need to let the monitor warm up to get its best performance.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 08:54:14 am »

just for your reference, don't plug a MVS board (unless 1-slot) into a jamma harness. It isn't quite Jamma and you can cause damage to the audio hardware (unlikely but keep it in mind). I would modify a harness to remove all the audio wires, reset all the chips and cables and try again. Is it gray or are there some colors showing?

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 05:40:06 pm »

he prolly only used 4 carts because the 6 slotter is badly underpowered and sometimes fails with six carts.
You might wanna change the power supply while you are at it as it might be really beat from powering that big a$$ neo board and monitor.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: