John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:56:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Retron console  (Read 4440 times)
yks104

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:53:07 am »

Anyone try these? Saw them online, I know they're kind of a sacreligious but they look kinda cool.

http://hyperkin.com/nintendo/nes/retron-3-video-gaming-system-for-nes-snes-genesis-charcoal-gray.html
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:12 am »

Is it emulation of some sorts with the hardware? I heard some games are noticeably bad.
Tighe

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:04:40 pm »

I say wait for retrozone to release their HDMI NES.
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:12:17 pm »

Fake & ugly

Approved by Versace

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
yks104

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:55:15 pm »

It gets decent reviews and it's only $50. Might be worth a shot. Finding a working NES is tough and they usually go for more than that...
pimppride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 12:32:56 am »

to me its no different then owning a mame box, I'd hold out on that purchase thou, they are releasing a new version Retron 5 that does 10 console or game units in 1 box for around $100

not to mention HDMI support, SD card access and wireless controllers... seems like an excellent device if your into vintage console gaming

http://retron5.com
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 05:19:21 pm »

I went to Microcenter and bought a Retrolink SNES USB controller to use with snes9x and Zsnes.  Works great, I bought a 2nd one on Amazon just in case this one breaks.
Also, Microcenter had a Retron1 NES console (just plays NES games) for $19.99, I don't have any NES cartridges or I would have snapped that one up too.
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 05:36:12 pm »

I have one of these, but the red version. it's actually pretty dang good for the price, I made a few modifications to mine and they are a pretty good substitute for the originals when you do them, they provide good picture, and nice space savings.
It's not an emulator, it's actually reverse engineered hardware chip sets.

I bought mine a year and a half ago when both my NES and SNES died, my Genesis was showing it's age too and so I decided to pick one of these up.

I actually started a thread about this console and the mods and improvements I made to it on another board along with a compatibility list for accessories and games, and I can provide a link if anyone is interested.
Also I could probably be persuaded to perform the improvement mods for anyone that owns one of these.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:38:00 pm by lordkahless214 » Logged
VertexGuy
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 06:14:15 pm »

these work better
pimppride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:58:51 pm »

I bought a new Retron 5 this morning at 10:30 am and now it’s dead... well at least the NES slot is dead by 7:pm... the cart slot grabs so tight it ripped the teeth out of the jaw socket when removing the cart... bad design / poor quality...

lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 11:26:51 am »

these work better
what he said.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Jonkey Kong

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 03:10:30 pm »

the retron 5 is out and much better than the previous 2 or 3
plays Nintendo / Famicom  - Super Nintendo / Super Famicom - Genesis / Mega Drive - Gameboy / Gameboy Color / Gameboy Advance

has HDMI out - 10 saves per game - sound filter - video filter and  game genie/shark type code with SD card download

uses NES SNES and Genesis controllers

http://www.retron5.com/
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 07:24:55 pm »

I wouldn't say it's "much better" than the previous iterations, it's apples and oranges really, and made for two different purposes.

The Retron 5 was meant to play popular old games up scaled via Hi-def on modern TVs and is an android based emulator, while the other clones use reverse engineered chip set hardware and are meant to output to a classic CRT display.

The Retron 5 is not compatible with things like flash carts, light guns and special hardware peripherals like the Famicom Disk System,  Sad all these things are compatible with the earlier Retrons, meaning they can run translated RPGs, homebrews and games like Duck Hunt without an issue.

If someone is after the advanced features of the Retron 5 then an original xbox is dirt cheap and does everything the Retron 5 can do and more, except for having cart slots, and if that is important then you could buy a Retron 3 to play most of your original carts, PLUS an xbox to do everything else, and together you would spend less money than if you bought a Retron 5.

I do happen to like the convenience factor of having all my games fit and run on one system that ANY of the multiclones (even the 5) provide because my old systems can stay in a box preserved from wear and tear, and I don't have to muck about with a metric ton of cables and AC bricks.  Grin

As for the Retron 5, it's a nifty piece of kit, but too expensive for what it is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: