John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:08:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Galaxian Buzzing noise from transformer(s).  (Read 1931 times)
bfrosty

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:10:51 pm »

Got a working Galaxian that has a low/medium buzz coming from the transformer(s) at the bottom of the cabinet.  The game works fine, video and sound are normal.

There is a Green/Yellow and Yellow/Green wire running from the Noise filter, but it runs to a connector/clip that's not connected to anything.  I wonder if it clips to the monitor chassis?  The duel wires are clipped up by the interlock switch...but I don't think they go there?

The Marque light is gone, but the wires to it are temp. disconnected.
The Power cord looks like a cat/dog chewed on it about a dozen places.  I'm sure that's not good.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here?
Thanks,
MK
VertexGuy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:43:19 am »

those marquees tend to mess with the monitor somehow if it does not work properly so some people just unplug the marquee light when the ballast/lamp/starter blow.

Try changing your line filter and fuse holders.
they may look FANTASTIC (you like that word huh?)  but can still work like shit.

Line filters can rot on the inside and you wouldn't even know it.. unless you had xray vision
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »

The marquee is completely missing and unplugged...so, that should be a non-issue.

Are there specific line filters per machine?  Fuse holders?  Just common stock?

Thanks,
MK
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:11 am »

Pretty much any line filter is fine. Just search for a 10A+ AC line filter, most games have one already installed but they can go bad, caps age and there is nothing you can do about that.

As far as hum goes, the AC line filter might help but transformers hum. Its kind of what they do, its possible the glue that holds the plates together is a bit loose and you are hearing the plates vibrate at 60hz. if that really bothers you, buy a new transformer. I would say leave it alone, if it works, don't touch it.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:46 am »

Thanks Ian....the noise if fine when the door is closed on the back.  I just didn't want it to explode or something =)).

This Galaxian looks like no one has touched the inside since 1979.  Needs a good cleaning too.

MK
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 01:36:52 pm »

Pretty much any line filter is fine. Just search for a 10A+ AC line filter, most games have one already installed but they can go bad, caps age and there is nothing you can do about that.

As far as hum goes, the AC line filter might help but transformers hum. Its kind of what they do, its possible the glue that holds the plates together is a bit loose and you are hearing the plates vibrate at 60hz. if that really bothers you, buy a new transformer. I would say leave it alone, if it works, don't touch it.

yeah but not just the plates,, the knives and forks rattle too
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: