John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:57:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Capcom The Last Duel - No Cars/Ships? All else works!!!  (Read 1716 times)
bfrosty

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2015, 02:18:31 pm »

Gods of the Arcade!!!

I just became the new owner of a rough, but working Capcom The Last Duel Arcade.  Everything works and powers up just fine.

The funny thing is....my car/ship doesn't appear.  I can steer it and crash and it makes the sounds, but no visible car/ship!!!

It's actually pretty funny Cheesy, but would be nice to see the car/ship moving and firing missles.

1) Is it a Rom?
2) If a ROM, can I pull it and clean the contacts?
3) How could I tell which ROM is bad?
4) It's something completely different?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
MK
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:25:20 pm »

My guess is EEPROM. If i can get a hold of the manual or schematic I can help further but pretty much just try to find chips that are sitting in sockets and remove it, inspect it. reinsert it. If you see any with broken legs then you have a sure problem. If none of them are broken and the game still doesn't work after reinserting each socketed chip then we will have to try to find some other way to test them for you.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:29:15 pm »

The only manual I can find is the kit installation manual. It doesn't say anything about a test procedure but there is a test pin on the jamma harness that is claimed to be in use. Maybe give shorting the test pin to ground a shot.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:32:53 pm »

Well....

I guess it liked a 35-mile trip in the back of a pickup truck.

Plugged it in and Whammo!!! It's working great.  Played it for 15-20min....worked great.

I took out the PCB and pushed down on all the EEPROM's and a few felt popped out a bit.  Very clean legs/feet on them.

Anyway, cleaned the monitor.  A lot of burn in from another game....Qbert!!! How funny, can't tell when playing the game though.  The tinted glass helps reduce it a lot.

....Now onto Mario Bros.

Thanks Ian.
MK
VertexGuy
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 01:46:33 am »

my centipede came with a qbert burnt monitor.

Ill be swapping it out with a donor tv soon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: