John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:10:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lesson learned from tron ps rebuild  (Read 1618 times)
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:37 pm »

Let me share a short story about one of my favorites: Tron. Loved, loved, loved this game as a kid. Think it was the blacklight. I am from outside Chicago. Before Christmas, I line up a for Buck Hunter Safari in Philly as a present for my son. I find a tron down in DC (Merry Christmas to me) so i make a road trip of it (over 1500 miles). Naturally, there are issues with both. But when I go to get the tron the guy says the sound just started acting up. I look and the battery is puking all over everything. A little late notice for this kind of info but the guy knocks 150 bucks off so 500 is ok I think. The game was in working order except for the sound. By the time I get home all I get is a yellow screen. I find the voltages way off and decide to rebuild with a trusty Real Bob Roberts kit. I watch every related episode of Johns arcade that I can find. Great Stuff! My parts come in and I get to testing and soldering. Now if you have never soldered on a circuit board before, it takes some time to replace that many different parts. Many hours later and a couple if Tito's (thanks John for hooking me on such great vodka). I plug it in, without hooking the board stack up, and.....FIRE!
The lesson is: don't drink and solder. Im glad I bought 2 kits.

just rebuilt another g07. On to the vector on Asteroids!
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:53 pm »

Ok. SoIrepaired the 'bridge' that I thought i erred. The board is heating up at the pin conn for audio and is bridging to the return grounding out. Flames again. Dont know what the hell is happening. Think I need a drink now.
Its the audio on the j5 connector

VertexGuy
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:02:03 am »

Ok. SoIrepaired the 'bridge' that I thought i erred. The board is heating up at the pin conn for audio and is bridging to the return grounding out. Flames again. Dont know what the hell is happening. Think I need a drink now.
Its the audio on the j5 connector

Do this.. go to arcadeshops website and order the switcher adaptor. this should all be in the $70 ballpark. 
then get a happ power pro power supply.  if you keep messing around with that AR your gonna start popping stuff on the tron boards.
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 07:53:26 am »

Thanks. Already put a switcher in. Been playing and its awesome! I never hook the boards up until the voltages read ok and there are no problems. I am rebuilding the mcr ii ps but its down on my list at the moment. I am looking for a two in one selecting board for my dk and dk jr and my bench has a 4600 on it for pac. Finally got pole position working right but I have a slight wave in the monitor (top to bottom).
Thanks again for the advice. I will probably leave the switcher in as it is working great but I still want the mcr ps to function properly.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: