John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:00:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrambled DK screen  (Read 2897 times)
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2015, 02:58:19 pm »

Hello all. I am semi new to collecting. Learning that if you're going to own it, its going to break down.
Anyway, I picked up an original donkey kong on the cheap. The screen is totally white with vertical lines. I pulled the board and put it in a known working dk to eliminate a board issue and all I saw was a bunch of scrambled letters in different colors.

Any thoughts on the problem or problems?

Thanks guys.

just rebuilt another g07. On to the vector on Asteroids!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:38:50 pm »

Hello all. I am semi new to collecting. Learning that if you're going to own it, its going to break down.
Anyway, I picked up an original donkey kong on the cheap. The screen is totally white with vertical lines. I pulled the board and put it in a known working dk to eliminate a board issue and all I saw was a bunch of scrambled letters in different colors.

Any thoughts on the problem or problems?

Thanks guys.

So, the board is booting with garbage?

I would start by reseating the chips on the board. It might fix it. I had a DK3 recently that was all garbage and a reseat of the chips fixed it.

Sounds like you have a monitor issue too?
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 06:36:53 pm »

There may be a monitor issue also. I also have a converted popeye to dk that i can confirm the board in. The previous owner may have made adjustments that put the monitor to all white. Imm looking to get a flikr acct so i can upload pics. The machine looks like it hasnt been touched in 30 yrs a credit button was added to the original coin mech unfortunately. Looking at the board, it looks really good. Previous owner said it just stopped working one day. Said he had it for years while his kids were growing up. He is retired. I did recently acquire a logic tester. Have never used one but theres only one way to learn. Thanks onecircuit.
I have an untested ebay dk jr board coming. My plan was to add it in this cab.
Reseating now and i am trying to get the same "garbage" to show on white screen monitor.

BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:22:46 pm »

Tried reseating. Nothing. Monitor adjustment: nothing. I turned the volume up all the way on monitor chassis and i hear a weird alien spaceship noise. Would be cool if I didn't care that it meant something bad.

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:49:06 pm »

White bars says that you need to recap the monitor.

The board booting to garbage, eprom or memory problem most likely, try reseating chips.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:31:20 pm »

Thanks. Will be looking for a cap kit and eproms. Shotgun time I guess.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: