John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 11:24:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Golden Tee Security Chips  (Read 11332 times)
kingdbag

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:33:51 pm »

Hey folks... I recently got my hands on a Golden Tee Fore! 2002 that had a dead board. I purchased a board on Ebay, but it was from a 2005 game. I have my machine working as a 2005 game, but I'd like to swap back and forth between 2002 and 2005. From what I read all you need is the right security chip and HD for the year you are trying to play. I pulled the security chip and HD from my 2002 board and when the machine boots it looks like the HD and security chip match (see below), but after that the next screen when the game tries to load the software it says, "Software version incompatible with hardware - Keycode #40201". Is there something I'm missing...?

After EPROM screen the diag screen matches
Software= #40201
Keycode= #40201
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:37:03 pm by kingdbag » Logged

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 05:40:26 pm »

I dont know this game like, at all. but my guess is the eproms are still storing software data that is not correct for that revision. It might be worth your time to check out a goldentee complete modification

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
kingdbag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:21:30 pm »

I think the board I have can support anything from 2002-2005 and Complete, but some of the courses for Complete are on the HD and some need to be written to a PROM on the board. I think anyway... I remember reading that somewhere. I'd do a complete board on Ebay, but people want $300+ for one of them. Supposedly you just need to swap security chips and HD for what I'm trying to do... so I'm not sure what I'm missing. It does make sense that a chip somewhere might be remembering some 2005 information though.

dm73

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 09:20:31 am »

I'm working on my own 2005 dead game.  

What probably would have to happen, is that you need all the update disks for each year and you need to update the hdd up to 2005.  But i'll bet you can't do that since the board is already 2005.   I do have those, but i believe the board and hdd are linked so you probably can't even use your old hdd anyway.

Look on ebay or sites for the guys selling the hdd or flash drive with the cracked security chip.   It won't be the complete setup, but it should be the fore update to 2005 and the chip ensures you can use any drive (flash or hdd) with it.  I don't know if these guys are fly by night, but it sounds like thats the setup you want.  I've seen on ebay for 50-60 bucks.  good luck with it

[edit]  sorry, I need to be more awake when i read these things.   the 2005 works.   Its trying to get the HDD to work with 2002.  I don't think you can.  My understanding is that the old boards were married to its hdd.  so you just couldn't swap out. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:23:49 am by dm73 » Logged
kingdbag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 09:56:05 am »

Yea, my game was originally a GT 2002, but the board wouldn't get past the EPROM screen where it detected the HD. I found a 2005 board/HD on Ebay which came with everything (PCB, HD, security chip, 2.08 EPROM) and that works in the cabinet. I also took a 2.09 EPROM I bought from arcade-service and that works in the 2005 board no problem as well. From what i've read as long as you have a 2.09 EPROM and a security chip/HD for the year you are trying to play it will work on any PCB. This makes sense because my broken PCB is identical to the 2005 I bought... just the serial number is much higher obviously.

[edit] Not that big a if I get it working just would have been cool to switch between both versions.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:00:48 am by kingdbag » Logged

dm73

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:49:30 am »

So question:

How many courses do you get with the 2005 board you bought?   My GT fore was originally a 2002, which was upgraded each year with the cdrom/new security chip up to 2005.   unfortunately, in between the operator closing up shop and the game coming into my possession, someone stored it in a barn and it destroyed the board.  I was wondering if the upgrades kept the older courses or did it just give new courses.

I'll be getting a complete board/flash drive once i get free time and free cash. 
kingdbag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 01:08:08 pm »

I got my board cheap for like $90, but it only has 5 courses plus a bonus 2... so 7. If you get the complete one on Ebay its like $300, but you get I think 27 or 29 courses.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: