John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:06:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you buy a DVD of the Gyruss Restore?  (Read 9039 times)
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:45:36 pm »

I am thinking about creating some DVDs professionally of the Gyruss Restore. It would be over 5 hours of restoration footage and I might throw some bonus video on it.

If I sold these for around $15 or so would you buy one?

I'm just wondering if this is something people would like.
Timbo2112

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:26:54 pm »

I have a Gyruss that could use some TLC, so I would!!
ArcadeJunkie2099

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 01:54:36 pm »

John, I don't know why you wouldn't do a catalogue of your youtube videos as an Arcade Review DVD.  I think people would definitely buy that.  Extras could include Funspot stuff, vids of your parties, On the Road with Jacobsen, etc. Could be worth the effort.  Also, stickers! People love stickers. Tongue
RetroArcade

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 07:47:00 pm »

Can i pre-order mine right now? Include a cigar straight from John and and 25 cent papers to add to my coin slot. LOL!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:39:49 pm »

Alright, I'm gonna look into getting DVDs made. Hopefully it's not too costly and too hard to author.
atariforever2002

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:15:34 pm »

I'd be interested too John. Save me the trouble of ripping these off you tube. Smiley
Cyborg2000

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:52 pm »

Count me in for one. 
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 04:28:33 pm »

It is worth noting that most people aren't going to pay for a dvd they can get on youtube for free. That's my opinion though and I just thought I'd politely share. Smiley

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 03:49:17 pm »

It is worth noting that most people aren't going to pay for a dvd they can get on youtube for free. That's my opinion though and I just thought I'd politely share. Smiley

Of course I realize that. But I like collecting and having things like this. I have bought a lot of arcade DVDs. I like 'em. Thought others might too.
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:25:39 pm »

Of course I realize that. But I like collecting and having things like this. I have bought a lot of arcade DVDs. I like 'em. Thought others might too.
if it was high quality and multiple arcade restores on the DVD. Heck yah
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:19:48 am by godfather » Logged

Dedicated: Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Ms Pac Man, 3, VS. Castlevania, Space Invaders Deluxe

Boards: Vs. Goonies, Vs. Super Mario Bros,
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 11:16:03 pm »

Fair enough, I'm kind of cheap that way so I'm not your target audience XD.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 12:28:12 am »

I am cheap too. But if you own arcade machines, it would be an excellent resource. Also by paying John for his efforts and time he puts in to this DVD you are contributing to more projects like this down the road.

Reality is there are only a finite of machines and parts out there. By educating yourself on how to preserve, restore and repair them by using these resources it allows these arcades to have a longer life span.

Dedicated: Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Ms Pac Man, 3, VS. Castlevania, Space Invaders Deluxe

Boards: Vs. Goonies, Vs. Super Mario Bros,
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 10:06:10 pm »

I am cheap too. But if you own arcade machines, it would be an excellent resource. Also by paying John for his efforts and time he puts in to this DVD you are contributing to more projects like this down the road.

Reality is there are only a finite of machines and parts out there. By educating yourself on how to preserve, restore and repair them by using these resources it allows these arcades to have a longer life span.

I know, in truth I don't own any games yet. I have nothing really to add as you've covered it quite well.
It's a good resource and I enjoyed watching it. I wasn't trying to mean he shouldn't be paid.

i am however not looking to just restore them. I'm looking to understand them, learn them, learn to design them, I want to understand the minds of the people who designed the machines and try to understand what they were thinking and why they do what they did when they designed tested and built them.

I did have a thought that's not a terrible one. You've got the time pilot restore, the gyruss, and the pac man restoration. You could probably make cd's of them too. I know pac-man is still in the works but its a golden oppertunity for ""behind the scenes"" special features. Just an idea.

alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 02:33:31 pm »

Listen, John, I don't know about the price point, but it genuinely a good idea to produce DVDs. Blu-rays even. People will buy them to support you, and it's pure profit for you to support your arcade endeavors. Hell I'm sure people would donate money to you if they could. Do it! Shimmy, Shimmy cocoa pop, Shimmy, Shimmy pow!

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 08:19:20 am »

Yeah I'd buy one for sure.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: